MOD Re: symbols of the mind

  • danw888
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Boy, you don't know how tempted I've been just to ban everyone in
      sight!

      Enough of the personalities, yet.

      Everyone needs to make an extreme effort to write posts that make
      some easily understood contribution to an SL topic.

      If it doesn't make a contribution, don't post it!

      This symbols of the mind thread is quite fascinating. Let's keep on
      trucking with that one.

      Where do they come from?

      I vote for the mind of God

      but it could be human culture, junk dna, individual genius, the
      archetypes of the collective unconscious, neural structures of the
      brain, or telepathic pressure from intergalactic space aliens.

      Chris has described some of the symbols he has seen. How about some
      other descriptions? How about auditory, olfactory, or kinesthetic
      symbols?

      I might even describe Donna's Mandala technique for activating
      psychic integration!

      Dan
    • C. Y.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005

        danw888 <danw@...> wrote:

        If it doesn't make a contribution, don't post it! I second the motion.

        I vote for the mind of God Whose god? Which one?

        Claire

        http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • danw888
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "C. Y." <cjmy3454@s...>
          wrote:

          > danw888 <danw@n...> wrote:
          >
          > If it doesn't make a contribution, don't post it! I second the
          motion.

          > I vote for the mind of God Whose god? Which one?
          >
          > Claire

          Whose God? Mine, of course.

          The one consciousness in which all things exist.

          Sat-chit-ananda - being consciousness bliss

          She/He is divine light, joy, love, and ravishing beauty

          Knows everything, cares about everyone

          but is not all powerful

          If you are creating a scupture, your expression is limited by the
          nature of the material. One slip of the chisel and the work of art
          is spoiled. The block might even crack and disintegrate.

          God is creating this universe. If She/He intervenes a great deal or
          inappropriately, the work of art might be destroyed, the universe
          itself might crumble.

          What is God creating? I could tell you, but it's on a need to know
          basis.

          She/He does act in the world, inspiring people, celebrating beauty,
          and performing miracles, but not alot of it goes on. Read on the
          history of miracles and you will be convinced that some superhuman
          agency is at work.

          Which God? The One Consciousness is an infinite depth to us, a great
          unknown. Humans form images and myths to get closer to the hidden
          reality. To speak to us in terms we can understand, God ensouls
          these images and pours sacred grace into our lives.

          Because there are many gods you should not conclude that no god is
          real, instead you should conclude that all are real and all are
          manifestations of the One.

          The history of religion is a history of human folly, but it is not
          religion that is failing man but man that is failing religion.

          Like platonic forms, geometry and its symbolic meanings pre-exist in
          the mind of God. Studying geometric symbolism brings us closer to
          expressing the true beauty of the divine in our lives.

          Actually, if you really wanted to stump me you would have asked me
          about the nature of the human soul.

          So, Claire - what are YOUR favorite geometric symbols and where do
          you think their power comes from?

          Dan
        • C. Y.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005

            Because there are many gods you should not conclude that no god is
            real, instead you should conclude that all are real ...                                                 I agree with you to a point. I believe that each individual has his/her own perception of what "god" is, therefore, there are as many gods as there are people. All are real to the individual who has rationalized his/her concept of that god. I would never dismiss a person's sincere beliefs.

            All are manifestations of the One.                                                                       The idea of One God is purely a Judeo-Christian concept.

            The history of religion is a history of human folly,                                                  That statement is a huge topic of discussion in itself. Let's leave it alone for now.

            but it is not religion that is failing man but man that is failing religion.                           I do not think too many people would agree with you here? Many people I know take their religion extremely seriously; they are not failing "it."

            Actually, if you really wanted to stump me you would have asked me
            about the nature of the human soul.                                                                         I am not out to "stump" anyone. Au contraire, I respect everyone's beliefs and would encourage anyone to pursue them as long as they satisfy and inspires that person and as long as these values do not harm others in any way. I would also demand that other people be considerate of your convictions as I expect others to be considerate of mine. No coercion, please.

            I am the staff anthropologist at a Chinese-American Catholic Mission school. Oddly enough, all the students and their parents are Buddhists. Do you honestly believe I would criticize anyone for what they truly believe?

            So, Claire - what are YOUR favorite geometric symbols and where do
            you think their power comes from?                                                                       All geometric symbols or any other symbol for that matter, have their own value for their own sake but only to the people who believe in them. If you believe a specific geometric shape has power, then it does; because this is your understanding of it. Personally, I do not believe symbols have power. I have been studying iconography for quite some times, and honestly, to me, it all boils down to what an individual wants to believe.

            My philosophy is this: there is no right or wrong when it comes to one's faith, right is right if and only if it works for you.

            Relax, Dan, I am really a very open-minded and considerate person.