Significance of 93

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2004
      From the oto grand lodge faq

      What does "93" mean?
      The old Hebrew and Greek languages had no separate system of numerals;
      numbers were instead signified by the use of the letters of their respective
      alphabets, each of which had a specific numeric value assigned to it.
      Therefore, a numeric value can be derived from any word or phrase spelled in
      either Greek or Hebrew. The study of these numeric values and their meanings
      is termed "gematria". The Greek words Te??µa (Thelema — Will) and ??ap?
      (Agape — Love) both enumerate to the number 93. Therefore, the number 93
      serves as a concise, symbolic expression of the principles of Will (Do what
      thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law) and Love (Love is the law, love
      under will). Crowley recommended the use of these phrases as Thelemic
      salutations of greeting and departure; modern Thelemites frequently use "93"
      as a shorter and more casual equivalent.

      That explains it!

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2004
        93 is used as a short form of Thelemic salutation.

        Reminds me of the old joke. The warden is showing a visitor through
        the prison. In cell block 8 a prisoner calls out the number 25 and
        everone breaks into peals of laughter. Another prisoner calls out 62
        and again everyone roars. A third prisoner calls out 93, but there is
        dead silence. The visitor asks 'What in the world is going on here?
        The warden says, These guys have been here so long that they all know
        eacother's jokes, so for conveniece sake they have just given them
        numbers. The visitor asks, But why didn't anyone laugh at number 93.
        Oh, old Joe never could tell a joke.

        Let's give that joke the number 93.

        I never did understand Crowley's point with these admonitions.

        Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Sounds like you can
        be ruled by any idiot whim that takes your fancy. Doesn't this just
        lead to a form of Clinton mania, where you can't keep your pants
        zipped up?

        Love is the Law, love under will: Will under love I could understand
        but love under will?

        Will someone explain the spiritual meaning of Thelemic Law to me?

        Dan