WFS-MRC presents: Future of Sacred Places

  • John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2004
      Immediate Release
      (please forward and distribute widely)

      World Future Society - Madison Region Chapter - presents:

      Future of Sacred Places: Temples of Tomorrow and Museums of Culture
      Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock

      April 15, 2004 7:00 pm
      Fluno Center, 601 University Avenue, Room 203, Madison, Wisconsin.

      About the program:

      At sacred places around the world and in our backyard, there is tension
      between past and future; relevance and reverence. Integration of the past
      is a key to success in the future. The development of relevant and enduring
      places that inspire reverence and awe is a real challenge for all religions
      in a pluralistic society. Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock will talk about the
      future culture of sacred space by looking at current efforts to preserve
      sacred sites and buildings as well as trends in modern churches and temples.
      He will discuss the impact of technology on our ideas of sacred space and in
      the development of future places for worship, prayer and meditation.

      About the program speaker:

      Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock is co-author of Sacred Sites of Wisconsin and
      Sacred Sites of Minnesota (Trails Books). He is a member of Sacred Sites
      International and on the Advisory Committee for the Most Endangered Sacred
      Sites.

      Paprock has been a member of the World Network of Religious Futurists for
      nearly ten years and a founding member of the Madison Chapter of the World
      Futurist Society.

      Paprock is an ordained Orthodox Priest in service to Holy Transfiguration
      Orthodox Mission in Madison. He also serves as a chaplain at area
      hospitals. Paprock has been involved with ecumenical and interfaith
      activities and events for over 15 years and has a Master of Theology in
      Comparative Religion from Trinity College.

      All sessions of the Madison Chapter of the World Future Society are free and
      open to the public.

      Upcoming Programs:

      May 20, 2004 - Wrapping up the Year with a Look to the Future - Linda
      Gorchels (Room 219)

      This concludes our 2003-2004 season of programs - look for our 2004-2005
      season information soon.

      For more information - check out the web site:
      www.madison.com/communities/mad-wfs

      World Future Society Madison Region Chapter meets the third Thursday of the
      month at 6:30pm (program starts at 7:00pm), except June and July. Our
      meetings and programs are free and open to the public - attendees are
      encouraged to join our local chapter. Refreshments are available.

      Madison Region Chapter meets in the Fluno Center, 601 University Avenue
      (check for room assignment), Madison, Wisconsin.

      Afterwards, everyone is invited to a social hour at the 8th floor Study Pub
      at the Fluno Center.

      Please forward this to appropriate people responsibly.

      Our web pages have information about our chapter, future programming as well
      as past meeting minutes and programs.

      In service to our future,

      Lynette Jandl, chapter president
      John-Brian Paprock, chapter coordinator