New site found near Machu Picchu

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2003
      Some very exciting work is being done in the Andes.

      Last year, I reported that an Incan burial site was found near the ancient
      city of Machu Picchu. It is a rare find since it survived in tact, escaping
      the notice of colonizing Europeans.

      That article is still accessible via this URL:

      http://www.andrys.com/mpburial.html

      Just recently, though, another city near Machu Picchu has been discovered,
      this time using infrared satellite technology. The article is here:

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&e=2&u=/nm/peru_britain_i
      nca_dc

      Check out the astronomical alignments: a solar temple and houses covering
      several square miles were found to lie in the same alignment with the
      Pleiades star cluster (!) and the June solstice sunrise as Machu Picchu,
      which was a sacred center. Talk about a sacred site find.

      The article claims that this is the first time infrared technology was used
      to locate a city. I suspect they mean in the Andes because I know for a
      fact that other researchers employing the same technology in Cambodia found
      the city of Angkor Thom slightly south-east of Angkor Wat.

      I have know images for the newly found Incan city, but I have uploaded a
      large image of the Angkor Wat site so you can see how such technology helps
      in locating adjacent sites. Note the red in the image:

      http://www2.comco.ne.jp/~euxenite/angkor_wat_infra_red.gif

      The fact that two such sites (Incan and Buddhist) have been located using
      such methods suggests very promising futures for other such finds!