Tompkins interview

  • CG
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2003
      Hi Barry, well here is the article for your fringe reading pleasure. : )

      SECRETS OF FORGOTTEN WORLDS:
      A CONVERSATION WITH PETER TOMPKINS
      by
      J. Douglas Kenyon

      For the many who date their personal discovery of the wisdom of the ancients
      and the power of unseen forces with the late 1960s and early '70s, two books
      enjoyed nearly unequaled influence. The Secret Life of Plants and Secrets of
      the Great Pyramid were both runaway best sellers, which, if nothing else,
      put the orthodox establishment to considerable trouble defending itself.
      While today, notions such as the preference of plants for good music and the
      miraculous measurements of the Great Pyramid may have become somewhat passe,
      25 years ago they caused quite a stir, and in the process earned not a
      little notoriety for author Peter Tompkins. For one who had dared to
      challenge so flagrantly the titans of the scientific establishment, Tompkins
      achieved not only celebrity, but also, for a time, an unprecedented measure
      of credibility.

      Both books remain in print but Tompkins, though scrupulous in his research,
      came to be dismissed by the conventional as something of a crank. More
      recent books (i.e., Secrets of the Mexico Pyramids, and Secrets of the Soil)
      have done little to change his undeserved reputation; nevertheless he
      remains today busy and unrepentant. Nor have advancing years quenched his
      fire. At 75, Tompkins has just delivered to his publisher Harper's his
      latest manuscript, offering concrete proof of the existence of elemental
      creatures. The book should be forthcoming in the next few months.

      Just back from a trip to Colombia, the author, at his home in Washington,
      D.C., took time recently to share his secrets on many mysteries, ancient and
      otherwise.

      Originally from Georgia, Tompkins grew up in Europe, but returned to the
      U.S. to study at Harvard. College, though, was interrupted by World War II.
      Initially employed by the New York Herald Tribune, Tompkins began the war as
      a correspondent. Soon he was broadcasting for Mutual and NBC. By the end of
      the war he was working with Edward R. Murrow and CBS. In 1941, his reporting
      career was interrupted by a stint in the TOI (a precursor of OSS, which
      ultimately became the CIA). Five months were spent behind enemy lines. At
      the Anzio landing, he recalls, General Donovan and General Park sent me into
      Rome ahead of the landing, and had they not failed to arrive, we would have
      had a big victory. But as it was, we got stuck. Then I had to send out radio
      messages four or five times a day of what the Germans were doing, where they
      were going to attack and in what strength and so on. During the mission,
      Tompkins recruited numerous agents which were sent north to link up with the
      partisans and help clear the way for the planned allied advance. Eventually
      he went to Berlin. When, at the close of the war, Truman abolished the OSS,
      Tompkins found he had no desire to join the newly organized CIA and went his
      own way. The years following the war were spent in Italy learning
      moviemaking and scriptwriting and developing a healthy distaste for
      censorship. I realized the only way I could say what I wanted to say was by
      writing books. They don't get censored.

      Even then, he was finding his views made him anathema to many. I got thrown
      out of more dinner parties, he chuckles, for talking about metaphysical, or
      what were considered crazy, notions at the time, so I learned to be quiet.

      Being quiet in print, though, has not been his wont. Nor has censorship of a
      sort been entirely escaped. Tompkins believes his most recent book Secrets
      of the Soils which he describes as A cry to save the planet from the
      chemical killers was virtually squashed by the publisher afraid of scaring
      the public. A followup on the Secret Life of Plants, the book spelled out
      alternatives to the use of chemical fertilizers which Tompkins says are
      absolutely useless and only lead to killing the soil and the microorganisms,
      poisoning the plants and ultimately animals and humans. Tompkins believes
      such fertilizers to be primary contributors to the spread of cancer.

      The writer has found his plans thwarted, not only by publishers. One idea to
      use a promising technology he had chanced upon, to virtually X-Ray the Great
      Pyramid, was apparently blocked by Zahi Hawass and the Egyptian Antiquities
      Authority. It would have cost about fifty grand to X-Ray the whole pyramid
      and find out what the hell really is in there, he says. It seemed to me that
      it would make an interesting television program, but no one was interested.
      It was very strange.

      On the recent highly publicized work of Belgian astronomer Robert Bauval
      purporting to show an alignment between the pyramids and the constellation
      Orion, he shrugs. It's a hypothesis, but it's not provable. I'm only
      interested in those things about the great pyramid which are solid, which
      are indisputable. Tompkins wants more than endless theories, of which he
      claims to have a room full. But he concedes, If you think of the Dogon and
      the Sirius connection, it's obvious that on this planet, that people knew a
      great deal more about astronomy and may have been linked in one way or
      another with the stars. But I'm only interested when someone comes along
      with fairly hard proof.

      Proof of advanced ancient astronomical knowledge, Tompkins believes, is
      abundant in much of the ancient architecture. It's obvious that all the
      great temples in Egypt were astronomically oriented and geodetically placed,
      he says. He is especially interested in Tel el-Amarna which he sees as the
      subject of a possible future book. The astronomical knowledge incorporated
      into the city built by Akhenaton, Tompkins believes to be mind blowing.
      Unfortunately for his plans though, Livio Catullo Stecchini, the Italian
      scholar and authority on ancient measurement, upon whom Tompkins relied for
      much of his work in Secrets of the Great Pyramid, is dead.

      Interestingly, Tompkins never permitted Secrets of the Great Pyramid to be
      published in Italy because the publisher wanted to cut out Stecchini's
      appendix (not the organ, but the text). The injustice still angers Tompkins.
      Here's an unrecognized Italian genius, but the Italians said if you print it
      you can't have the book.

      His subsequent book on the Mexican Pyramids further reinforced Tompkins view
      that the ancients were possessed of advanced astronomical knowledge. Though
      not convinced that the similarities between Egypt and Mexico prove the
      existence of a mother culture like Atlantis, as some have suggested, he does
      believe it's obvious that people went back and forth across the Atlantic.
      And he believes the Mexico builders used the same system of measurements as
      the Egyptians. I should write another whole book on the subject of what was
      known on both sides of the Atlantic.

      During his Mexico experience, Tompkins succeeded, at great expense and
      difficulty, in filming the effect of the rising and setting sun at equinox
      on the temple at Chichen Itza. It's absolutely staggering, he relates, but
      you can see that snake come alive, just on that one day. It goes up and down
      the steps. We filmed it and it's just beautiful. How did they orient that
      pyramid so that would happen only on the equinox?

      Answering that question led Tompkins to New Zealand and Geoffrey Hodgeson,
      who gained fame in the 1920s by clairvoyantly pinpointing the precise
      position of the planets at a given time. Convinced by Hodgeson's
      demonstration, Tompkins concluded that he knew the secret by which the
      ancients were able to achieve their precise astronomical alignments without
      access to modern instruments. They didn't need the instruments, because the
      instruments were built into them. Clairvoyantly they could tell exactly
      where the planets were and understand their motion. Such understanding,
      while available to the ancients, has been largely forgotten by alienated
      high-tech Western society. We've closed ourselves in, he says. We've pulled
      down the shades on our second sight.

      Fascinated by clairvoyance and the potential it represents, Tompkins has
      tried to deploy it as a resource for his more scientific investigation. When
      his own search for concrete proof for the existence of Atlantis took him to
      the Bahamas he used every tool at his disposal. When one site appeared to be
      littered with ancient marble columns and pediments, it was a psychic who
      told him that the spot was nothing more than the final resting place of a
      nineteenth-century ship bound for New Orleans with a marble mausoleum on
      board. On the more scientific side, clandestine core sampling of the
      celebrated Bimini Road convinced him the pavement was not manmade but only
      beach rock. It took a University of Miami geologist to give him what he
      wanted.

      Dr. Cesare Emiliani showed Tompkins the result of his own core sampling over
      the years in the Gulf of Mexico. Here was conclusive proof of a great
      inundation of water in about 9,000 BC. Tompkins remembers, Emiliani said,
      they say that Atlantis has been found in the Azores and found off the coast
      of Spain and off the East Coast of the United States. All of these places,
      he said, could have been part of the Atlantean empire that was submerged at
      exactly the date when Plato said it was.

      Several years earlier he had written the foreword for the English
      translation of Otto Muck's book, The Secret of Atlantis. Muck's hypothesis
      that Atlantis had been sunk by an asteroid Tompkins thought very plausible,
      and he still thinks so, though it remains to be proven. In Emiliani's work,
      though, Tompkins believes he has found the only geological proof on the
      subject.

      Of course, proved or not, Atlantis, like many other controversial notions,
      is not likely to be readily accepted by the intellectual establishment. The
      reasons for which seem clear to Tompkins. They would have to rewrite all
      their archeological schoolbooks if some of this is proved. If John West's
      theory about the Sphinx is correct (that it's over 10,000 years old) it's
      going to change a lot of stuff. By way of analogy he describes a man he
      knows in Canada who has developed a cure for cancer and points out what a
      threat such a discovery is to the billion-dollar-a-year cancer industry. All
      of which leads him to another one of his favorite subjects, though
      acknowledging that it may cost him credibility with some people: Who really
      wrote Shakespeare?

      It was written like Hollywood scripts are written today, he explains.
      Written by members of the privy council, which could have been at the time,
      not only Bacon and Southhampton, but all of them who were involved, one way
      or another, in trying to save the country from civil war, and realized that
      neither the Catholics nor the Protestants had the answer, and you had to
      look deeper somewhere. So you had to go back to the Egyptians, hence the
      presence of Giordano Bruno involved in some of the plays. He sighs, The
      whole subject is absolutely riveting and fascinating.

      A lifetime of searching the hidden byways has made Tompkins philosophical
      about his own inevitable physical transition. While acknowledging that he is
      getting on, he says, I'm infinitely more peaceful about the prospect of
      death. Like time, it's sort of an illusion. I mean you lose the body but
      what's that. You've had many before and you'll probably have more after.
      Maybe you'll do better without them. At any rate, his productivity has yet
      to suffer. His next book promises to prove the existence of elemental
      creatures.

      The project was inspired by the recent scientific validation of the work of
      Annie Besant and C.W. Leadbeater in mapping sub-atomic structure. Before the
      turn of the century the two leaders of the theosophical society had decided
      to used their yogic powers to analyze the elements. Leadbeater saw and
      Besant drew. When their work was published, no one paid any attention. After
      all, not only was it impossible to do what they were doing but their results
      contradicted conventional science. Then in the 1970s an English physicist
      discovered their work and realized that they were accurately describing
      quarks and other features of the atom which had only recently been
      discovered. With such powerful vindication established, Tompkins now goes
      into the detailed work which the two produced on elemental spirits, as well
      as the work of the renowned clairvoyant Rudolf Steiner. If you put it all
      together and realize these people could actually, many years ahead of the
      discovery of atoms and isotopes, accurately describe and draw them, and then
      look at their description of the nature spirits, their function on the
      planet, their connection with human beings and why it is that we should
      reconnect with them, you have to listen. I mean it's black and white. You
      can't escape it.

      What will the new book be named? I don't know because I hate to give names
      to my books. They'll probably call it the Secret Life of something or
      other....

      Copyright © 1996-2002 Atlantis Rising. All Rights Reserved