re: evil

  • CG
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 8:24 AM
      Good point Vincent. The problem I had with the initial part of the essay
      pertains to this line of reasoning:

      > ... when one conceives of God as unlimited with respect to power, knowledge,
      > and moral goodness, the existence of evil quickly gives rise to potentially
      > serious arguments against the existence of God.

      This assumes, of course, that moral worth is universally conceived the same
      by humans. It may be so but seems far fetched to presume. What is the
      presumption, for example, that our concept of what is morally right is the
      same as the omnipotent being's concept? The whole argument here about evil
      seems to hinge on the fact that our limited understanding or what is right
      and the unlimited understanding of god's view of right are similarly
      oriented. The assumption is that the logical extension of what we feel is
      right is what god feels is right. Highly dubious logic, to say the least.

      -Chris
    • Seyfert-1
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 8:54 AM
        > From: CG <cg_net@...>
        >
        > Good point Vincent. The problem I had with the initial part of the essay
        > pertains to this line of reasoning:
        >
        >> ... when one conceives of God as unlimited with respect to power,
        >> knowledge, and moral goodness, the existence of evil quickly
        >> gives rise to potentially serious arguments against the existence
        >> of God.

        I'm not sure how this relates to SL subjects, tho.

        > This assumes, of course, that moral worth is universally
        > conceived the same by humans. It may be so but seems far
        > fetched to presume. What is the presumption, for example,
        > that our concept of what is morally right is the same as
        > the omnipotent being's concept?

        are omnipotent beings reprented in architecture or math numbers?
        I gather some people think Avagadro or Phi or something implies
        this kind of omnipotent architect, but what is the symbolism
        for omnipotence?

        > The whole argument here about evil seems to hinge on the
        > fact that our limited understanding or what is right
        > and the unlimited understanding of god's view of right
        > are similarly oriented.

        I think I made a great list of how 'bad' symbolism might be
        applicable to SL. it was pretty keen.

        > The assumption is that the logical extension of what we
        > feel is right is what god feels is right. Highly dubious
        > logic, to say the least.

        > -Chris
        > Topics suitable for discussion in this e-list can be found at:
        > http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html

        ack, I think that page (and/or the URL) has to be updated. :/

        most religious logic is highly dubious. that's why we tend to
        dissuade it and steer clear of it unless it pertains to some
        kind of building or music or math problem or something.

        Seyfert-1 (topic-ogre :>)
        nagasiva@...