Re: The Problem of Evil

  • J. Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, Dan Washburn <danw@n...>
      wrote:
      > A while back we had a long theme on the problem of evil.
      > Here is a reasonably understandable essay on the
      > philosophical approach to the problem.
      >
      > http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/evil/
      >
      > Dan

      "The Problem of Evil

      The epistemic question posed by evil is whether the world contains
      undesirable states of affairs that provide the basis for an argument
      that makes it unreasonable for anyone to believe in the existence of
      God. "

      Consideration of evil does not directly address the existence of G-
      d. The existence of G-d can only be known empirically; you must
      encounter G-d in your experience to actually 'know'. It is the same
      as with any question of existence. The was a european philosopher
      who said that it was not reasonable that black swans exist; he
      declared "There are no black swans." He used logic inappropriately;
      it does not predict the existence of things. If it did, it could be
      used as a crystal ball, so to speak.

      Vincent