The Problem of Evil

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2003
      A while back we had a long theme on the problem of evil.
      Here is a reasonably understandable essay on the
      philosophical approach to the problem.

      http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/evil/

      Dan
    • J. Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
        --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, Dan Washburn <danw@n...>
        wrote:
        > A while back we had a long theme on the problem of evil.
        > Here is a reasonably understandable essay on the
        > philosophical approach to the problem.
        >
        > http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/evil/
        >
        > Dan

        "The Problem of Evil

        The epistemic question posed by evil is whether the world contains
        undesirable states of affairs that provide the basis for an argument
        that makes it unreasonable for anyone to believe in the existence of
        God. "

        Consideration of evil does not directly address the existence of G-
        d. The existence of G-d can only be known empirically; you must
        encounter G-d in your experience to actually 'know'. It is the same
        as with any question of existence. The was a european philosopher
        who said that it was not reasonable that black swans exist; he
        declared "There are no black swans." He used logic inappropriately;
        it does not predict the existence of things. If it did, it could be
        used as a crystal ball, so to speak.

        Vincent