Government Occult symbol experiment...

  • J. Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2002
      http://reason.com/0210/artifact.shtml

      This is an article which makes a complaint about the sudden
      appearance of an occult logo for the Information Awareness Office.
      IAO is the acronym for the organization and oddly the term IAO also
      figures into the magick of Alestair Crowley (SP?).

      The symbolic logo has been removed from the military website at:

      http://www.darpa.mil/iao/

      By you might find some of their objectives rather interesting.

      later,

      Vincent
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        (Vincent, this is not criticism of you)

        Government Occult symbol experiment..???

        I have received other e-mail re this
        little flap that tries to generate a scare..

        I guess we are all supposed to understand that
        this is in fact an "Occult image" and that "Occult" is
        bad because it equates with Evil.

        Also how exactly did Crowley use that IAO abbreviation?
        I've seen this alleged but with no explanation.
        Are we supposed to know this reference?
        I don't .
        Anyway why is this supposed to be scary?
        Is this supposed to prove that wicked magicians or the
        Illuminati are in control of the government?

        Granted it is a rather ominous looking image
        but my question is:
        What makes this an "Occult" symbol
        and why is that bad?
        Would a cross lighting the world be more reassuring?

        I just went back to capitalize "Occult" everywhere
        because I think it is easier to be afraid of something in
        capital letters. It looks more intimidating than "occult"
        in lowercase.

        I'm no fan of intrusive government, but
        this reminds me of the flap over soap company,
        Procter and Gamble's so-called "Occult"
        Man in the Moon logo that they had to abandon
        because of popular hysteria among certain religious
        organizations. I believe Pat Robertson was among
        those who fanned the flames.

        There is plenty to criticize in government policy,
        but the linkage of "occult" to nameless bad things is
        hysterical witchhunt nonsense.

        just my 2 cents
        .

        At 09:17 AM 12/31/02 -0000, you wrote:
        >http://reason.com/0210/artifact.shtml
        >
        >This is an article which makes a complaint about the sudden
        >appearance of an occult logo for the Information Awareness Office.
        >IAO is the acronym for the organization and oddly the term IAO also
        >figures into the magick of Alestair Crowley (SP?).
        >
        >The symbolic logo has been removed from the military website at:
        >
        >http://www.darpa.mil/iao/
        >
        >By you might find some of their objectives rather interesting.
        >
        >later,
        >
        >Vincent
        >

        >Topics suitable for discussion in this e-list can be found at:
        >http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html
        >
        >To UNsubscribe, send email to:

      • Neil Fernandez
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
          Barry wrote:

          >There is plenty to criticize in government policy,
          >but the linkage of "occult" to nameless bad things is
          >hysterical witchhunt nonsense.

          But letting loonies detract attention from something that otherwise we'd
          be interested in is...inadvisable practise :-) All governments,
          including republican ones, make use of 'sacred' imagery, locations,
          rituals. The idea of 'sovereignty' is connected with the idea of
          'centre'. Witness the very nature of a 'great seal' - an object for
          ritual stamping in time/space - regardless of what image it might bear.

          Meanwhile, I wasn't persuaded by the argument at
          <http://www.greatseal.com/mottoes/translation.html> in support of the
          idea that 'novo ordo seclorum' doesn't mean 'new world order'. They say:

          >>>In Classical Latin, "world" – in the sense that it is used in the
          >>>phrase "new world order" – would be "orbis terrarum/terrae" (or
          >>>sometimes terra alone), or "mundus," or maybe "tellus."

          First, why in the 18th century should Latin in its most classical
          variety have been the reference point? Even today, Latin is a living
          language - the Vatican authorities make sure of that. More importantly,
          why not allow that a little 'poetry' crept in? Does it not often do so,
          in such mottos? I think if one looks at it the other way round, i.e.
          takes the idea currently expressed with the phrase 'new world order'
          (since say Gorbachev and Bush senior) and considers how it might have
          been thought of in the small scene containing the individuals who set up
          the United States, then 'novo ordo seclorum' seems like just the sort of
          thing they would have come up with to express the idea. Third, the
          authors of the text don't mention that the term 'secular' today, in
          English, means 'world' as well as 'non-religious' or 'mundane'.
          (Nor do they mention the use of 'orbis' alone to mean 'world', e.g. in
          the famous phrase 'urbi et orbi', used by Popes for centuries).

          Neil

          --
          Neil Fernandez
        • J. Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
            http://www.hermetic.com/sabazius/starruby_rit.htm

            note 3 at this link gives some background on IAO as the Gnostic
            version of the Divine Name.

            The logo of IAO clearly depicted the idea of Divine omniscience,
            however degenerately and magically. "Knowledge is Power" was the moto
            inscribed on the logo. Personally I believe it to be illegitimate for
            ordinary mortal governmental personel to have access to an
            artifically omniscient system of surveillance. Why is a government as
            powerful as ours seeking power?

            There are deep issues here. Does any earthly government merit divine
            powers?

            Vincent

            --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, Barry Carroll

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • J. Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
              > Why is a government as
              > powerful as ours seeking power?
              >
              > There are deep issues here. Does any earthly government merit
              divine
              > powers?

              Well, I just want to say that this problem of the propensity of
              technology to become omniscient and more potent is not necessarily
              and intractable problem. However, for the world to be preserved,
              maintaining life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness, a huge body
              of law must be created to regulate these forces of technology. The
              brilliant technological solotion to evils of all kinds of the
              twentyth century was killing en masse. But, this new technological
              idea seems to be more like the power to find and kill descretely.
              Like how long would Ben Laden last if there were a microchip in his
              forehead to identify him an guide our weapons to him.

              In the Star Treck episodes the ship had "Total Information Awarenes"
              in a version evidently now coveted by our 'IAO'. However, it was an
              archive which could only be reviewed in the presence of the person
              whose history was to be examined, when special circumstances arose,
              and was so ordered by dear old William Shatner.

              Anyway, just don't take any wooden nickles from the people promoting
              this Novo ordo Seculorm.

              Vincent
            • Barry Carroll
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
                vincent--
                thanks for coming back so quickly
                re IAO.
                Whether by design or accident, i agree there
                is is something creepy in the logo's implication
                of an system of surveillance with omniscient
                godlike powers

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
                  In message <av0dbr+l4e0@...>, J. Vincent Beall <vincent@...>
                  <vincent@...> writes

                  >> Why is a government as
                  >> powerful as ours seeking power?
                  >>
                  >> There are deep issues here. Does any earthly government merit
                  >> divine powers?
                  >
                  >Well, I just want to say that this problem of the propensity of
                  >technology to become omniscient

                  Hi Vincent, on reading that I wondered, have you looked at the usage of
                  the French word 'ordinateur' for 'computer'? Originally the word
                  'computer', borrowed from English, was used a lot, but then those who
                  control what is defined as 'standard' French decided to introduce the
                  word 'ordinateur', previously best known as a description of God in
                  theology.

                  Neil
                  --
                  Neil Fernandez
                • J. Vincent Beall <vincent@dmv.com>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
                    > Hi Vincent, on reading that I wondered, have you looked at the
                    usage of
                    > the French word 'ordinateur' for 'computer'? Originally the word
                    > 'computer', borrowed from English, was used a lot, but then those
                    who
                    > control what is defined as 'standard' French decided to introduce
                    the
                    > word 'ordinateur', previously best known as a description of God in
                    > theology.

                    Hi, Neil. I really know very little of the french languge. Do you
                    mean that 'ordinateur' means something like 'the one who ordains
                    events or reality'?

                    Vincent
                  • j1frog@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
                      In a message dated 1/1/2003 9:54:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, vincent@... writes:

                      Why is a government as
                      powerful as ours seeking power?

                      There are deep issues here. Does any earthly government merit divine
                      powers?

                      I really think that the whole purpose is to control and distract people while all of the earth's natural resources are divided up among the multinational corporations that run the government. One of the goals of the WTO is to privatize EVERY DROP of water on the planet. My brother-in-law is an environmental engineer, and he tells me that in this century water will be fought over in the same way that oil is fought over now. The Age of Aquarius may well have the Saturnian rulership instead of the Uranean one.

                                                                              B*B*,

                                                                              Froggie444