Salt lake city

  • CG
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2002
      Drawing a blank, thought I'd put it out for public consumption:

      The setting: Salt Lake City
      The founder: Brigham Young
      The background: Ezekiel's City as described in the Book of Ezekiel

      There is little little little information to be had on the Net in this
      regard so far as I can tell. And being in Japan I don't have nearly as much
      access as I'd like to. Anyone reading this a Utah native? With knowledge
      of the historical background involved in the planning of Salt Lake City? It
      is said to be more exactly laid out than other American cities, though
      generally most are designed on the orthogonal form. But whereas most
      observe rectangular blocks Salt Lake City has, apparently, exactly square
      ones and set within the center is Temple Square. Also, its system of street
      grids and its wider than normal streets (designed to be wide enough to turn
      a team of oxen around without having to back them up) make it unique.

      All I really need is a map of the original plans and I could do my own
      comparison with Ezekiel. But none seems to be had, or at least, I draw a
      blank when I try.

      Roulette wheel that search machines are, I wonder if anyone else would turn
      up a better hand than I? Was Brigham's and, presumably Joseph Smith's, plan
      for the city based on Ezekiel? There is something here, I just don't know
      what.

      Still digging,