Re: Stechinni

  • CG
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
      > if you read that Stechinni material in the Thompkins book
      > you get a useful picture of how this same system was expanded
      > to measure distance, weight and volume, as well as time.

      Hi Barry, did you check out the site I sent the URL for? Is it the same
      material as in the book you have? Lemme know as I intend to purchase it if
      not. thx

      Side note: I still have the book by Dozci you recommended. Great
      suggestion.

      Anyhoo-- pretty interested in how these measurements are all united. As far
      as I can tell length, weight and volume are related. But I didn't see any
      reference to time. How is it an extension of the basic shekel? I find
      Stechinni so disconcerting to read: there are always four or five exceptions
      he goes over to every rule he attempts to record. I like his mind but hate
      his proofs. Hardly convincing in terms of the, "oh yeah, you said it,
      professor!" kind. More like, "Ouch. After a hundred pages I sorta see what
      you are getting at and probably have to spend the rest of my life digesting
      it just to refute you, ya long-winded mutha!". : )

      k, get back to me, plz

      -Chris
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2002
        At 05:08 PM 10/1/02 +0900, you wrote:

        >Hi Barry, did you check out the site I sent the URL for? Is it the same
        >material as in the book you have? Lemme know as I intend to purchase it if
        >not.

        Chris-----------

        Yes.I read thru it.

        http://www.metrum.org/key/pyramids/index.htm

        There is some overlap but not re the question you ask
        about how time relates to weight and measure in a unified system.
        The Thompkins book is well worth the price at least in paperback.

        Unfortunately there are places in the book (not in Stechinni's essay)
        that contain misprints that left me stuck for years til i realized the
        problem..
        I have written the publishers, but they seem not to care.
        New printings remain uncorrected.

        If we get that far i'll point them out to you.
        Stechinni is not an easy read. Often i had to make little flow charts to
        keep things straight. It's too much to hold in mind.

        I also wonder if his work is being translated from Italian
        and if that adds to the problem of readability.

        Barry

        >Topics suitable for discussion in this e-list can be found at:
        >http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html
        >
        >To UNsubscribe, send email to:

      • CG
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2002
          Hi Barry,

          Thanks for getting back to me re: Stechinni. I purchased the Thompkins book
          on-line. The Chaldeans are reputed to have had a unified system of
          measuring linking length, mass, volume as well as time but this is the first
          time I have heard of any other people including time. Looking forward to
          discussing this further. : )

          Thanks again,

          -Chris