[sacredlandscapelist] Introduction

  • Mark Lee
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 1999
      This would fall into the two antagonistic cents catagory. The mystic aspects of Sacred Geometry give meaning to the bare forms of the science. The scientific, rather the mathematical aspects of Sacred Geometry give credibility, universality and power to the perilously vague mysticism we all crave as humans. Is it wrong to stuff mystical goop into a wonderfully logical and coherent practice of geometry? Maybe, but it sure is fun. The position that geometric forms completely divorced of the goop would render the science impotent can be well defended. Why in the world would the Parthenon be both the center of worship and geometric tour de force if not to suggest to those who care to inquire, hey! there is something here, if you have the skills to put it all together. The two sources inform each other, the mathematics keep the mystic in line, the mysticism keeps the geometry where we can use it to explore with purpose and power.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sacredlandscapelist
    • Andrea E. Frohne
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 1999
        I found the comments from Mark and Page very fitting (see below). They are inclusive, and both serve and summarize this list well. The message in its entirety from Page arrived in one long, sentence that stretched across many horizontal computer screens. Whether intentional or not, I enjoyed such an alternative use of space.
        Andrea

        Mark Lee wrote:
        ...The two sources inform each other, the mathematics keep the mystic in line, the mysticism keeps the geometry where we can use it to explore with purpose and power.

        From:
        MrPage@...
        To:
        sacredlandscapelist@egroups.com

        Mike wrote, in part:

        << I agree lots, but... I become uneasy at the words 'divine' and 'sacred',
        or maybe by the way you use them. As a part-time atheist, and as someone
        who anyway likes to approach my studies from a purely objective
        perspective, I know that its difficult communicating with folks who work
        from the solid assumption of the existence of, and discernability of, A
        Grand Plan, a Great Architect, or whatever. The way you use these words
        _seems_ to say to me: "Hey, unless you share my beliefs, you're never going
        to understand what's happening". You seem to take divinity and sacredness
        as given, agreed and accepted shared concepts, and they are not.>>

        Thanks for your comments Mike. I think I can understand how you feel.
        Actually my views on whether to use the word historic to filter the wealth of
        architectural examples has nothing to do with one's beliefs. It is a simple
        objective reality...historic architecture, as a topic, is blindly restrictive
        when it comes to discussing the relationship of music (for example) with
        architecture. Historic is redundant as well as augmentative, ie historic as
        from what date? This subject, of course, has nothing to do with religion, as
        I see it, although your apparent intention to editorialize a scientific
        relationship...borders on the same criticism.

        <<There's
        an incredibly narrow line to be walked between respect for people's
        spiritual viewpoints and disgust at controlling religious organisations, or
        contempt at superstitious gullability, and I feel that a simple solution
        is to simply leave subjective metaphysical beliefs out of the
        conversation. To compartmentalise; saying in effect, we'll leave out all
        the issues that we'll never agree on, on order to be able to discuss our
        common interests. And to write posts from that basis. Maybe that's
        impossible, maybe you think its undesirable. And I'm thinking aloud here;
        tell me what you think. >>

        Yes, Mike. That's certainly a two way street, don't you think? I haven't
        seen on this list any such conflict, nor anyone attempting to impose one's
        beliefs upon another...except as I mentioned above that I sense you are
        perhaps inadvertently doing. Atheistism is also a belief, Mike.
        Environmental forms which connect with the human psychic, like engaging music,
        is a separate distinct subject, and I wonder how you got the impression of any
        such "belief" association. Maybe you can elaborate on that a bit. Or, drop it
        entirely if you wish. My interest is in discussing all aspects of truly
        engaging and connective architecture, the influences of which we witness as
        spanning across cultures and time...and leaving exciting clues for us to
        ponder and share meaning. And, once again, I think we limit our discussions
        if we announce to the word that we are only interested in "blue" buildings.

        Page

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sacredlandscapelist
      • NightChade
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2005
          Hello everyone,
          I am in the process of mapping the ley lines in the West Kootenays of
          BC (Canada)
          If anyone has information about ley lines in this area, or have any
          advice, I would appreciate it.
          Thanks,
          Sherry