Re: [sl] Hermetic vs. Gnostic

  • Alexandre
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
      Hi list,

      I would like to thanks all that responded to the question, the two quotes
      come from the Tao The King from the link:

      http://www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller/contao/laotzu.htm

      2.
      All in the world recognize the beautiful as beautiful.
      Herein lies ugliness.
      All recognize the good as good.
      Herein lies evil.

      Therefore
      Being and non-being produce each other.
      Difficulty and ease bring about each other.
      Long and short delimit each other.
      High and low rest on each other.
      Sound and voice harmonize each other.
      Front and back follow each other.

      Therefore the sage abides in the condition of wu-wei(unattached action).
      And carries out the wordless teaching.
      Here, the myriad things are made, yet not separated.

      Therefore the sage produces without possessing,
      Acts without expectations
      And accomplishes without abiding in her accomplishments.

      It is precisely because she does not abide in them
      That they never leave her.

      20.
      Get rid of "learning" and there will be no anxiety.
      How much difference is there between "yes" and "no"?
      How far removed from each other are "good" and "evil"?
      Yet what the people are in awe of cannot be disregarded.

      I am scattered, never having been in a comfortable center.
      All the people enjoy themselves, as if they are at the festival of the great
      sacrifice,
      Or climbing the Spring Platform.
      I alone remain, not yet having shown myself.
      Like an infant who has not yet laughed.
      Weary, like one despairing of no home to return to.

      All the people enjoy extra
      While I have left everything behind.
      I am ignorant of the minds of others.
      So dull!
      While average people are clear and bright, I alone am obscure.
      Average people know everything.
      To me alone all seems covered.
      So flat!
      Like the ocean.