Egyptian base in Hermeticism

  • Ambrose Hawk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      This is a point on which I tend to dodge the issue.
      By the time Hermeticism arose, the intermingling of idea
      from so many cultures, thanks to the incense, spice, silk,
      and amber trades was enormous. For instance, some scholars
      believe that the Tree of Life used in QBL actually
      originated in China or India.
      There are clear similarities, and it is true that the
      Hermetics were more likely than the Gnostics to claim an
      Egyptian link. In fact, I do think this plausible due to
      its reliance on Coptic symbols and forms.

      As to the Gnostics deriving from a Jewish base, I'm sure
      this is true for some; but I sincerely doubt that most
      Gnostics were very influenced by Judaism or even
      Christianity for that matter. Gnosticism seems to be
      historically clearly a Hellenistic response to the
      Zorastrian and Persian mystical system at its base. The
      blending of Greek Mystery Cult and Zorastrian principles
      does seem present in almost all of the Gnostic cults for
      which we've recovered any substantial data.

      Be Blest,
      Ambrose Hawk

      --
      IN HOC MODO MILLIS FRANGITVR .