H vs. G

  • Ambrose Hawk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2002
      Dan,
      The problem lies in the simple fact that both Hermetic and
      Gnostic cover a lot of ground -- and the debate about what
      they "really" are will never be resolved at this late date.
      Pragmatically, Hermetic tends to refer to the blend of
      alchemical and spiritual ideas derived from the "corpus
      Hermeticus" or collection of early Renaisance texts ascribed
      to a mythical "Toth-Hermes". This has become blended with
      scraps of QBL to develop a kind of quasi-religious
      occultism.
      Gnosticism refers directly to a religious movement relying
      upon initiatory procedures to inculcate a transforming and
      transrational "knowledge" in the initiate. This "knowledge"
      causes the initiate to share in the Divine existence of the
      tutelary and thus grant a share of that tutelaries
      immortality. As it has many streams, the most common
      problem is saying that some particular stream is "the"
      gnostic teaching on a subject.
      Most of them, however, share the idea that in some way
      material reality is false or even a trap for the Divine
      essence which is sort of our souls ...
      :)
      Ambrose
      --
      IN HOC MODO MILLIS FRANGITVR .
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
        hi--
        I'm with Ambrose on this one.

        The connection to the "Corpus Hermeticus"
        or collection of early Renaisance texts ascribed
        to the mythical Egyptian sage "Toth-Hermes"
        put the borders around the Hermetic philosophy.

        good point that Gnosticism
        has no specific dogma.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
          Ambrose Hawk wrote:

          > Dan,
          > The problem lies in the simple fact that both Hermetic and
          > Gnostic cover a lot of ground -- and the debate about what
          > they "really" are will never be resolved at this late date.
          > Pragmatically, Hermetic tends to refer to the blend of
          > alchemical and spiritual ideas derived from the "corpus
          > Hermeticus" or collection of early Renaisance texts ascribed
          > to a mythical "Toth-Hermes". This has become blended with
          > scraps of QBL to develop a kind of quasi-religious
          > occultism.
          > Gnosticism refers directly to a religious movement relying
          > upon initiatory procedures to inculcate a transforming and
          > transrational "knowledge" in the initiate. This "knowledge"
          > causes the initiate to share in the Divine existence of the
          > tutelary and thus grant a share of that tutelaries
          > immortality. As it has many streams, the most common
          > problem is saying that some particular stream is "the"
          > gnostic teaching on a subject.
          > Most of them, however, share the idea that in some way
          > material reality is false or even a trap for the Divine
          > essence which is sort of our souls ...
          > :)
          > Ambrose

          I've got a brief outline that I wrote a long time ago of how
          the different gnostic sects emerged from differences between
          the Jewish sects of the 1st century AD. I'll see if I can
          did it out and post it.

          Since both Hermetic and Gnostic systems emerged in Egypt in
          the 1st centuries of the common era, another question is how
          much of ancient egyptian magic do they share in spite of
          their broad differences?

          Dan