Re: borobodur

  • CG
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      Hi Alexandre,

      One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that it Borobodur is
      the largest Buddhist stupa in the world. Stupa meaning reliquary, really,
      since the whole point of one is to house a relic of the Buddha. You can't
      enter a stupa as you can a church.

      > The Borobudur stupa is a massive, symetrical monument, 200 square meters in
      > size, sitting upon a low sculptured hill. The monument represents a Buddhist
      > cosmological model of the universe organized around the axis of mythical Mt.
      > Meru. Starting at the eastern gateway, pilgrims circumambulate the stupa,
      > always in a clockwise direction. Walking through nearly 5 kilometers of open
      > air corridors while ascending through six square terraces and three circular
      > ones, the pilgrim symbolically spirals upward from the everyday world to the
      > nirvanic state of absolute nothingness. The first six terraces are filled
      > with richly decorated relief panels in which the sculptors have carved a
      > textbook of Buddhist doctrines and a fascinating panorama of 9th century
      > Javanese life. Upon the upper three terraces are 72 small stupas, each
      > containing a statue of the Buddha (these statues are usually headless; relic
      > hunters stole many of the heads, others are in museums). Crowning the entire
      > structure is a great central stupa. Representing Nirvana, it is empty. "

      Oh yeah, the place is a real treasure trove of arcane and esoteric
      information. Where to begin? One thing I will point out is that the height
      and the base line form two 3-4-5 triangles, similar to the Mexican Pyramid
      of the Sun and the Great Pyramid of Egypt. Interestingly, though, the
      latter has the pyramid standing on the short side of the triangles so while
      the proportions are the same as the others the height of the Egyptian
      pyramid is significantly higher owing to the length of the long side.

      > So I have an Idea you can use or not, when walking the 5 kilometers
      > corridors you can count your steps, from one to nine ( one for each Domus,
      > and the last to the center) and then, substitute the numbers for the 72
      > Domus, and while you are walking you throwing away the things and Gods out
      > of the Domus and when you reach the central stupa, your mind has a
      > resemblance whit it. I really don't know if it works, but if I have a chance
      > I'll try.

      You say we should count steps as we walk from one to nine. After that,
      though...? Substitute numbers for the 72 Domus? Can you explain what you
      mean more? Sounds intriguing but I don't know what you mean.