Re: [sl] Digest Number 172

  • euxenite2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 7:29 AM
      Hi Ambrose, long time no talk. How are things?

      > Chris wrote:
      > Sacrifice originally appears in the context of the
      > Paleolithic hunters with their animal-inspired mythologies.
      > ---------
      > Well, that's one theory ... in the absence of a reliable
      > time machine, however, I'd be a lot more comfortable with
      > that statement if it included the words "might", "maybe" and
      > so forth.
      > :)

      The animal that is about to die for the food and good of the tribe
      is a troubling aspect in the history of mythology. Killing to live. To
      alleviate this guilt a mythology emerged where the hunters
      agreed to remember the animal about to die, to not disrespect it
      and to live with the rest of its family members. Think Lascaux.
      Obviously this says more about us than it does about the animal
      kingdom but, then, what doesn't?

      If you re-think the sacrifice I spoke of above in terms of the
      hunting magic I just described, do you still feel I should include
      "might" and "maybe"?