Re: [sl] Fractals, Crowley and Sacred Geometry

  • Barry Carroll
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2002
      john--
      i saw your post here on SL
      and i looked at the pyramid figure on your site.

      exactly what sort of schematic of the pyramid do you need?
      what are you trying to determine?
      for reference the peak angle of the thing is 51 and a half
      or 52 degrees--depending on how fussy you need to be.

      you can make a nice line drawing if you have
      even a cheap protractor. will that be good enough?

      your fractal pyramid looked more pointed as i recall.

      At 11:45 PM 4/9/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hi there.
      >
      >My name is John, and I'm new to the list. I came across this list
      >while I was looking for information relating to a sacred geometry
      >project I've been working on for some time. From reading the messages
      >here, I'm hopeful some of you might be able to help me get some
      >insight into the project.
      >
      >I've been rendering some numerical formulas from the writings of
      >Aleister Crowley into 4-dimensional fractals (quaternions). The
      >numbers have yielded some interesting images.
      >
      >The latest image I rendered was derived from a gematria-based code in
      >Crowley's Liber Al Vel Legis. The result was a fractal that contains
      >a dominant pyramid shape along with several interesting figures
      >reminiscent of various Egyptian themes and other bits and pieces of
      >arcana.
      >
      >I've been looking around for some clean schematics of the Egyptian
      >pyramids that I can compare to the shapes in the fractal at greater
      >length. I've been poking around the Web, and while there are a lot of
      >sites about pyramids, I haven't found anything with simple plans I
      >can start with. Could any of you recommend something?
      >
      >I'd also be interested to hear any comments or observations, on or
      >off list, about the images themselves, most of which which are on
      >display on my Web site (http://www.chaosdancer.com). Based on reading
      >some of the messages, I'm sure you all would have a better informed
      >viewpoint on the geometry that I would.
      >
      >Thanks, and nice to meet you!
      >
      >-john

    • JohnZDrake
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 2002
        --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., Barry Carroll <palladin@s...> wrote:
        > john--
        > i saw your post here on SL
        > and i looked at the pyramid figure on your site.

        Thanks for responding....

        > for reference the peak angle of the thing is 51 and a half
        > or 52 degrees--depending on how fussy you need to be. ...
        > your fractal pyramid looked more pointed as i recall.

        This is helpful; thanks. The fractal pyramid is more pointed in most
        of the iterations, though some renditions of it are closer to that 51-
        52 degree number. Are all the pyramids the same in this respect?

        -j
      • Barry Carroll
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2002
          as far as i know only the great pyramid has this
          exact peak angle .

          since at least three of the other large pyramids,
          Dashur, Seqqara and Maidum in their present condition
          are 'stepped' and do not have smooth sides or
          a peak per se, it is hard to tell what peak angle
          they might have.

          however, according to my information ( Thompkins)
          if the base of Seqqara were extrapolated, only its
          peak angle would be similar to the Great Pyramid.
          the other two differ by several degrees.

          beyond this i cannot say.
          all in all, there are 100 or so pyramids,
          mostly small, stretching down the
          west bank of the Nile.

          >Thanks for responding....
          >
          >> for reference the peak angle of the thing is 51 and a half
          >> or 52 degrees--depending on how fussy you need to be. ...
          >> your fractal pyramid looked more pointed as i recall.
          >
          >This is helpful; thanks. The fractal pyramid is more pointed in most
          >of the iterations, though some renditions of it are closer to that 51-
          >52 degree number. Are all the pyramids the same in this respect?
          >
          >-j

        • polychoron
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13 9:45 AM
            I'm thinking they were aming for an angle of 51.428571.....
            Which is 360 degrees divided by 7.
            That would give the interior angle of the heptagon.

            for reference the peak angle of the thing is 51 and a half
            > >> or 52 degrees--depending on how fussy you need to be. ...
            > >> your fractal pyramid looked more pointed as i recall.
            > >
            > >This is helpful; thanks. The fractal pyramid is more pointed in
            most
            > >of the iterations, though some renditions of it are closer to that
            51-
            > >52 degree number. Are all the pyramids the same in this respect?

          • johnberger_x
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13 1:01 PM
              --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., "polychoron" <polychoron@y...> wrote:
              > I'm thinking they were aming for an angle of 51.428571.....
              > Which is 360 degrees divided by 7.
              > That would give the interior angle of the heptagon.

              Excellent, thanks. This helps a lot. I'm running some variations on
              the original images and finding that the angle may more closely
              resemble that proportion than the pictures I've currently posted on
              my site because of the viewing perspective on those images.

              Thanks!

              --John
              http://www.chaosdancer.com
            • Barry Carroll
              Message 6 of 7 , May 20 10:15 PM
                yes--

                i agree.
                since this has some interesting and useful
                applications including squaring the circle