cubical Holy of Holies

  • danw888
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2002
      Hi, Chris and list -

      According to Roderick Grierson of Harvard University and Stuart
      Munro-Hay of the University of Berlin in their book The Ark of the
      Covenant (London: Wiedenfeld & Nicolson, 1999, p. 45) (which is a
      great scholarly book on the Ark)

      "The Ark of the Covenant is placed in the inner sanctum [of the
      wilderness Tabernacle], which has the form of a cube whose length,
      breadth, and height are all 10 cubits."

      So there it is. According to informed scholarly authority the
      Tabernacle Holy of Holies is a cube just the way the Holy of Holies in
      the Temple of Solomon is a cube. Tabernacle is 10 x 10, Temple of
      Solomon is 20 x 20 cubits.

      I'm not sure I believe it though. The passages in the Bible on the
      construction of the Tabernacle are not at all clear.

      Dan
    • super_romeman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2002
        Speaking of the cube in architecture, these items give some food for
        thought:

        "the Holy of Holies ... was a perfect cube ... The Holy of Holies was
        entered only once a year, on the Day of Atonement, when the high
        priest made atonement for the people."

        http://biblicalholidays.com/Yom-Kipppur/yom-kippur-bible-times.htm

        "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the
        first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

        "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God
        out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

        "And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the
        tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they
        shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their
        God. ...

        " And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the
        breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand
        furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

        "And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four
        cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel."

        (Rev. 21: 1-3, 16, 17, King James Version)

        "The new Jerusalem [Revelation 21-22] is a cube of enormous
        proportions (12, 000 furlongs is about 1, 500 miles), although the
        use of the number 12 could be symbolic. The Holy of Holies in the
        temple of the Old Testament was also a cube (cf. 1 Kings 6:20)."

        http://bible.crosswalk.com/Dictionaries/BakersEvangelicalDictionary/be
        d.cgi?number=T509

        http://www.netmastersinc.com/secrets/cube.htm

        "The temple, whether Solomon's Temple, the Jewish Tabernacle, the
        Parthenon or the Ka'aba (Arabic for 'cube') at Mecca, was originally
        the dwelling place of the god or goddess, who was represented within
        by a statue, a mystic symbol or invisible oracle. The tabernacle was
        itself symbol and symbolised. It was movable and oriented its axis
        towards the rising sun, a common practice. ... The very
        word 'templum' means a place from which stellar observations are
        made. The juxtaposition of square and circle permeates all the
        ancient mythologies, their pictorial representation, and the early
        architecture that emerges from the attempt to re-create the universal
        structure on earth."

        http://www.atmann.net/saeac.htm

        "...the architecture of the Escorial Palace near Madrid ... was based
        on the idea of the Temple of Solomon and conceived as a large
        cube. ... Its architect, Juan de Herrera, even wrote a mathematical
        treatise dealing with the magical properties of the cube. One of
        Herrera's students, the Jesuit Juan Bautista Villalpando, was also
        responsible for a popular reconstruction of Solomon's Temple, a work
        King Charles I is known to have studied during his incarceration at
        the end of the Civil War (J.Prado and JB Villalpando, In Ezechielem
        explanationes, ii, 1604)."

        http://www.freemasonrytoday.co.uk/nicstonemta.shtml

        http://es.rice.edu/ES/humsoc/Galileo/Catalog/Files/villpndo.html

        http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/jmac/sj/scientists/villalpando.htm

        Paul Foster Case said, "In the study of the Qabalah there is no more
        important glyph than the Cube of Space with perhaps the exception of
        the Tree of Life."

        "The Sepher Yetsira (Sefer Yetzirah): Cube of Space"

        http://www.psyche.com/psyche/cube/cube.html

        The eminent astro-archaeologist Sir Norman Lockyer "revealed that the
        siting of many monuments created a regular geometrical pattern in the
        form of a rhombus. This system of landscape arrangement and
        orientation as well as linear proportion is common to all temples,
        whatever time in the history of man they may have been built. The
        measurements are all found to be solar/lunar in intent. The diameter
        of Stonehenge in its inner circle corresponds to the length in
        English feet of the choir at Bristol Cathedral for instance, i.e. 104
        feet. ...

        "The rhombus was discovered to be the key to the mysterious medieval
        sign of the Vesica Piscis, the sign of the fish. This was found to be
        derived from the cube unfolded, producing the sign of the Cross with
        the three horizontal and four vertical bars, which when cubed,
        produce twenty-seven and sixty-four. All other numbers in ratio are
        found in the square of seventy-four, the circle of 231, and a
        rectangle of 37 x 64. Such is the external measure of the Lady Chapel
        at Glastonbury Abbey – 37 feet by 64 feet. This was the site of the
        first ecclesiastical building to be erected there. Architecture down
        the ages, in all climes, through all races and civilizations,
        conforms to one set of rules only, and indicates the basic Unity of
        God and therefore of all religions. It is canonical and eternal and
        its interpretation has always been recognized in a metaphysical
        context.

        "We have now to consider two important facts:

        "a) Architectural proportions are the same throughout all
        civilizations.

        "b) These proportions are to be understood as the means of
        interpreting astronomy and astrology through various myths.

        "It is interesting to note that the knowledge which the ancients
        possessed coincides with the knowledge of the solar system and
        universe we have today. This knowledge has been gained through use of
        the most scientific instruments and is of such a complex nature that
        even now it has not been fully interpreted. How this knowledge was
        obtained before is a mystery, but the ancient astronomers knew the
        distances of the planets from the earth and sun and also the time it
        took them to move round the sun. They computed the planet Pluto
        (apparently) even though it was not visible to them. They also
        computed Saturn and Jupiter as well as how often they conjoined and
        in which sign of the zodiac they lay."

        http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/1614/Story/Arthur/arth10.htm

        "26 is the magical number of the Cube of the Sun. It is written in
        the Book of the Law that the Cube is a symbol of our Lord Hadit, the
        Sun. The Cube has 6 sides, 8 points or corners, and 12 edges or
        boundary lines. The Cube contains the Great Secret of the Universe.
        In Alchemical terminology, it is the Stone of the Philosophers. The
        Cube is made of six squares; it is therefore linked with the
        Hexagram, the sacred symbol of the Sun. It is the Folded Cross of six
        squares which contains the Mystical Rose or Pentagram in its Center.
        The Rose is concealed in the Cube or Folded Cross; it represents the
        Secret of Secrets or the Arcanum Arcanorum of our Sacred Magick. By
        the unfolding of the Cube of the Sun is this Great Secret revealed;
        and the Cross and Rose, the Hexagram and Pentagram, become One in
        Eternity."

        http://www.thelemicgoldendawn.org/english.html

        best, romeman

        --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., "danw888" <danw@n...> wrote:

        > Hi, Chris and list -
        >
        > According to Roderick Grierson of Harvard University and Stuart
        > Munro-Hay of the University of Berlin in their book The Ark of the
        > Covenant (London: Wiedenfeld & Nicolson, 1999, p. 45) (which is a
        > great scholarly book on the Ark)
        >
        > "The Ark of the Covenant is placed in the inner sanctum [of the
        > wilderness Tabernacle], which has the form of a cube whose length,
        > breadth, and height are all 10 cubits."
        >
        > So there it is. According to informed scholarly authority the
        > Tabernacle Holy of Holies is a cube just the way the Holy of Holies
        in
        > the Temple of Solomon is a cube. Tabernacle is 10 x 10, Temple of
        > Solomon is 20 x 20 cubits.
        >
        > I'm not sure I believe it though. The passages in the Bible on the
        > construction of the Tabernacle are not at all clear.
        >
        > Dan
      • super_romeman
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10 3:29 AM
          "In the fourth dimension the infinite number of solids in the
          Universe are in relationship with each other through time and
          energy. ... The Fourth Dimension is portrayed geometrically by
          fractals and by the Hypercube. The Hypercube is the symbol used in
          mathematics to try and represent the fourth dimension in two
          dimensions (a drawing on a piece of paper - a plane). From the center
          of the Hypercube through its 8 diagonals the Hypercube is related to
          everything in the Universe. The infinity in the Fourth Dimension lies
          in the infinity of relations."

          http://www.fractalwisdom.com/FractalWisdom/fourth.html

          --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., "super_romeman" <super_romeman@y...>