Re: [sl] Re: Meaning of Bethlehem

  • Stephen J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001

      mikebispham@... wrote:

      Hi Stephen, and Everyone

      Thanks very much for your (and others) replies.  That's an excellent resource
      at http://www.bju.edu/bible/h/1000.html, thanks for sharing it.  Is it based
      on the Metaphysical Dictionary, or  'Strong's Concordance' you mentioned?
      Also, does it have a frontpage/introduction/index, or is it searchable, do
      you know?

      Hi Mike & Everyone,

      The Metaphysical dictionary is published by Unity School of Christianity - a school which teaches Christianity from
      a meta-physical viewpoint.

      http://www.unityworldhq.org/

      You wrote:

      >  The literal meanings of Bethlehem are: House of bread; place of food;
      house of
      >  sustenance, house of (the) living.
      >
      >  Metaphysically 'bread' symbolizes spiritual sustenance, and 'Bethlehem'
      as 'the
      >  house of Bread' ..."

      I'm fine up to that point : )

      >  ...symbolizes that place in consciousness where we become aware
      >  of the power of the spirit flowing through us.

      Now of course you are drawing on other sources which are unavailable to me.
      I'd imagine I'd need to spend a good few years in study, and have the benefit
      of some direct experience of the things you mention, before I could even
      begin to develop a trust in your claims.   That said, I do understand, and
      welcome, your thoughts on our different approaches:

      The place in consciousness where we become aware of spirit's influx is at the pit of the stomach - this is
      where the 'water of life' that animates each person enters consciousness. However - this happens without
      awareness in many people because they have not been taught:
      a) of its presence and
      b) how to draw on it.

      The flow of energy is deeper and finer than electricity or magnetism, yet when one does tap into its flow, one knows through the joy experienced and the increase in understanding  that this is pure spirit, 'life' in its purity and perfection.

      You are correct in saying that you would need to experience this flow to be assured of its existence - however, when anyone does experience it and learn to draw on it, it broadens understanding and brings a profound peace of mind.

      >  I understand the groups desire to comprehend sacred geometry from a
      >  scholarly perspective - however it is important to remember that every
      form of
      >  geometry has the purpose of teaching us more about ourselves - therefore
      sacred geometry -
      >  if we are to understand it in all its glory and fullness must pass the
      intellectual
      >  stage and become experiential - that is - we must understand what the
      sacred
      >  geometry is telling us and be able to put it into practise so that we too
      can
      >  experience the same inspiration that caused the sacred landscapes to be
      >  formed in the first place.

      I personally feel that your approach carries a number of presumptions and
      presuppositions that I do not share - but please don't take that as any kind
      of criticism.  I'm sure most people feel the exactly same about mine.
      Perhaps you'd like to tell us more about what you feel it is 'the sacred
      geometry is telling us'?  How do you see connections between divinity and
      geometry?    How do you envisage 'sacred geometry' bearing on sacred
      landscapes, and how can you be confident that your approach enables you to
      "experience the same inspiration that caused the sacred landscapes to be
      formed in the first place" ?

      This world that we live in is a reflection of the mind's that created it over aeons of time. Each sacred landscape or building has the purpose of teaching us our own nature.

      I have posted an essay here that explains this creative process:

      http://www.servadei.com/amet_twelve_faculties.htm

      The other essays in that section of the web site also expound and broaden this subject.

      When seen in this light - churches, paintings, masonic buildings, sacred landscapes, etc, have the purpose of preserving knowledge
      through time until a generation arises that understands the symbolism and starts to use the understanding imparted by it.

      Look at them as 'letters' sent through time, sealed until the person (generation) that the message is intended for receives it...

      I firmly believe we are that generation (For creation timelines and reconciling archaeological estimates of the time of creation and biblical cosmology see the essays - creation 1 & 2 plus the essay on Genesis here.

      We as Hu-man beings (HU is the oldest name known for God - man means mind and be = is and ing = in activity. Therefore the title Human being means - God's mind is in activity) are representatives of the creator, his 'servants' so to speak. In the light of this, there can be no division between geometry and  spirituality or divinity - as ALL division arises from that part of our mind that creates illusions and takes the pure substance of spirit and creates limited forms that are restricted by the thoughts and ideas of previous generations - the most dominant of which is 'duality' - or division.

      In a nutshell, humans tend to analyse without first understanding the principle of analysis - synthesis - how everything works as a unity.

      If the race had to be convinced 'intellectually' one by one, this would take aeons - so another way was made clear, that of the spirit, of each person being taught how to contact the flow of the water of life within themselves and direct it in their daily lives so that they may become fully conscious of their unity with the creator.

      This 'way' is veiled and presented to us in sacred geometry, in landscapes, in paintings, in rituals etc. And it is in understanding what the artist, mason, sculptor, etc intends to convey that allows us to go within and learn to see past our own limitations and contact the spirit that inspires all creation.

      I hope this answers your question and look forward to hearing from you.

      Have a great day,

      Stephen

      All the best

      Mike

      servadei@... writes:

      > mikebispham@... wrote:
      >
      >  > Hi Stephen,  thanks for your response.
      >  >
      >  > I'm dead interested in this, but I need for you to demonstrate to me
      that
      > it
      >  > has genuine roots.  Can we do just this one line, from a strictly
      > scholarly
      >  > perspective?
      >
      >  From 1920 until 1930 (or thereabouts) a teacher of Meta-Physics by the
      name
      > of Charles Fillmore along with 20 learned Rabbi's compiled a Metaphysical
      Bible
> [...]
      >  >
      >  > In a message dated 10/22/01 11:07:03 PM GMT Daylight Time,
      >  > servadei@... writes:
      >  >
      >  > > Hi Mike,
      >  > >
      >  > >  Bethlehem:
      >  > >
      >  > >  In metaphysics, we derive the meaning of a word from its essential
      idea,

      >  > the
      >  > >  context in which it is used as well as the other names used in
      > conjunction
      >  > > with
      >  > >  it.
      >  > >
      >  > >  The literal meanings of Bethlehem are: House of bread; place of food;
      >  > house
      >  > > of
      >  > >  sustenance, house of (the) living.
      >  > >
      >  > >  Metaphysically 'bread' symbolizes spiritual sustenance, and
      'Bethlehem'
      > as
      >  > '
      >  > > the
      >  > >  house of Bread' symbolizes that place in consciousness where we become
      >  > aware
      >  > > of
      >  > >  the power of the spirit flowing through us.
      >  > >
      >  > >  The centre of energy for receiving this flow of spirit is located at
      > the
      >  > pit
      >  > > of
      >  > >  the stomach - this is where spiritual substance interacts with
      > everything
      >  > we
      >  > > eat
      >  > >  and which builds our body according to the ideals we hold in mind.
      >  > >
      >  > >  (Therefore our body is 'a temple of the ever living God' - or a living
      >  > > record of
      >  > >  everything we think, say and do.)
      >  > >
      >  > >  When we contact the flow of energy, we can direct it in rebuilding our
      >  > body
      >  > > after
      >  > >  the divine ideal already planned for it at the dawn of creation.
      >  > >
      >  > >  This process we call the 'regeneration' where using the inner stream
      of
      >  > life
      >  > > and
      >  > >  the intelligence (wisdom) imparted at the fountainhead, we learn what
      > we
      >  > > must do
      >  > >  to pass from personal to universal consciousness.
      >  > >
      >  > >  The divine I AM within each person (Jesus) is 'born in Bethlehem of
      > Judea'
      >  > > meaning
      >  > >  that when we first contact the flow of spirit (baptism) the divine I
      AM