Re: [sl] The Skull viewed

  • jamesbt@lineone.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2001
      Hello there Roland , Well done with your superb contribution!
      Can I ask you to now try doing what I suggested earlier -eg make
      the isosoles triangle (sorry I stated a equilateral triange last time
      - as I was typing from memory!) between the missing hand of the
      crucifix, the hand on the dagger (29) and the middle of the book
      (23) try the lock of the book.

      But first find the nail point of the missing right hand, to do this
      track 2 locating lines:

      LINE 1: a line from the point of the seal of soloman (one nearest
      De Selve), bottom right conrner of lute's peg box, corner of angle,
      axis of globe handle, axis of globe (NOTE HERE THE LINE
      PASSES THROUGH ROME!) , medallion of ST MICHEAL (where
      spear hits dragon), image of christ, nail area.

      LINE 2: bottom circumfrence edge, of circle under De Selve, tip of
      top of skull (this is with tangental precision!), bisects spine of
      prayer book, ball /handle of dividers, along left side of chain
      above knot.

      This vital point, I believe reveals all!

      Make up the Isosoles triangle, and now distort the picture to
      make the skull look normal- hey presto the isosoles triange has
      changed! to what? You tell me!

      James

      Where the two above lines hit, is either the nail of hand of christ.

      center of inner
    • Rolandmont@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2001
        Hi James,

        I will try your suggestions in the next few days, (I can't wait to see what
        pops up) as things have been busy here. Unfortunately I don't have a good
        reproduction of the painting but I'll try my best. I haven't been able to
        find the mummy's face.

        I took a look at your website, it's fantastic! Globes are tremendous elements
        historically in so many aspects, for study and as art. It's great to see
        someone making these and sharing some of their hard earned expertise with us
        on this list is really enriching.

        I haven't been able to digest all of your article on Holbein but it's
        fascinating reading and so much food for thought. It's a very powerful
        painting on many levels. I find the technical aspects of the painting a world
        in itself, like what medium did Holbein use, which varnishes, pigments, is
        there a chemical analysis, how about x-rays of the painting? Is there an
        underpainting, construction lines, sketching? Is there heightening with white
        and modeling in the underpainting?

        I wanted to wish you well in your publication effort and keep us informed
        when you go to print.

        Sincerely,
        Roland Montijo
        rolandmont@...