Re: [sl] temple measurements

  • Barry Carroll
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3 7:41 PM
      this is a tough one.
      i don't think there is such a single source.
      people are inclined to tend their own campfire and
      don't often attempt to go beyond their field of interest/special knowledge
      to make connections.
      Here's a helplful few:

      1)the Bible for Solomon's temple and Noah's ark
      2)there is alot on the pyramids ( i have often hyped my favorite source)
      3)Charpentier's, the Mysteries of the Cathedral. re Chartres
      4)The Hindu Temple --Stella Kramrish
      5)The Demensions of Paradise-- John Michell
      6)The Art of Memory--Frances Yates, re occult significance of the plan for
      the Globe Theatre
      7)Architectural Principles in the Age of Humanism--Rudolf Wittkower
      8)Masks of God-Oriental Mythology --Joseph Campbell
      9)The Gothic Cathedral--Otto von Simpson

      best wishes

      At 02:18 PM 9/26/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >What is the best book for finding the various dimensions and
      >measurements of many temples, churches and other sacred
      >structures?
      >
      >Any help would be appreciated,
      >
      >-Chris

    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3 7:49 PM
        chris, if you are still looking
        power of limits is a good book. i second this recommendation.
        it illustrates proportional relationships rather nicely with the author's
        own visual shorthand method--
        tho it took me a little while to appreciate it at first.