[sacredlandscapelist] Re: The Beehive and the Omphalos

  • Jeffery Marshall
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 1999
      Greetings!
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Dan Washburn [mailto:danw@...]
      Sent: Sunday, April 04, 1999 7:40 PM
      To: sacredlandscapelist@egroups.com
      Subject: [sacredlandscapelist] Re: The Beehive and the Omphalos

      Hi, Jeffery --

      The image of the Delphi omphalos shows that it is covered with a
      net-like pattern.  Do you know the reason for this?  My recent research
      has given me a possible answer to this question, but I'd like to hear
      what other people have to say about it before I create biases with my
      own theories.

      David Fideler, in Jesus Christ, Sun of God, page 339 writes:
      "Classical scholars such as A. B. Cook (Zeus, II, 169ff.) and Jane Harrison ("Aegis - AGRHNON") have puzzled over the mystery of the net-covered omphalos stone with unsatisfying results, but seen from a cosmological perspective, the symbolism of the net becomes intelligible.  Interestingly, there was also an Orphic book which was simply entitled DIKTUON, "The Net", which is the same term used in John 21 (Kernm Orphicorum Fragmenta, 297). G.R.S. Mead in his Orpheus links "The Net" with another Orphic manuscript, "The Veil", and cites ancient references which suggest that these works dealt with the Veil of Nature and the mysteries of generation (Mead, Orpheus,31)."

      "The Net" - TO DIKTUON - sums to 1224 in Greek gematria, which he says is an important musical ratio and is related to an octahedron based upon the measures of the gematria values for Hermes and Apollo.

      Also note the pillars Boaz and Jachin, described in I Kings and II Chronicles, were also covered in a network.

      AOI
      Jeff Marshall

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sacredlandscapelist
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 1999
        Jeffery--
        the only account i know is from stechinni who says it is the net of longitude
        and latitude lines which covers the earth represented by the omphalos.
        he embellishes with supporting information that builds his case that there
        was
        a lot more geographic awareness in ancient time than they usually get
        credit for .
        he talks about a method for establishing the measurement of a sacred
        precinct in England before 1000AD
        that is related to a subdivision of a degree of longitude at that latitude
        he ties it in with use of the the subdivision of earth's equator as basis
        for various systems
        of weights and measures.
        dan, you might be interested in that because of your interest in what einar
        paulson
        has to say about the esablishment of a sacred precinct by the settlers who
        founded Iceland
        in that same era.

        also it connects well with john michell's stuff about the image
        of New Jerusalem as a microcosmic earth

        this is from stechinni's essay in peter thompkins pyramid book.

        jeffery--i thought that for masons the beehive symbolized the quality:
        industry?

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 1999
          Greetings!
          the only account i know is from stechinni who says it is the net of longitude
          and latitude lines which covers the earth represented by the omphalos.
          he embellishes with supporting information that  builds his case that there
          was
          a lot more geographic awareness in ancient time than they usually get
          credit for .
          ______________________________
          This could well be true, considering myth says Zeus released two birds in opposite directions and decreed that where they met was the center of the world.  They could only do this if the world was round rather than flat.  And of course we know of the Greek, sorry forget his name, that measured the circumference of the word by a shadow at noon on the summer solstice.  We lost a great deal of knowledge when Rome fell.
          ______________________

          jeffery--i thought that for masons the beehive symbolized the quality:
          industry?

           _________________
          Yes, the ritual does say that, but symbols work on multiple levels. Sometimes the ritual explanation is the lowest level of meaning.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 1999
            more:

            At 06:42 AM 4/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
            > Greetings! -----Original Message-----

            jeff comments:
            >barry--

            This could well be true, considering myth says Zeus released two birds in
            opposite directions and decreed that where they met was the center of the
            world. They could only do this if the world was round rather than flat.
            And of course we know of the Greek, sorry forget his name, that measured
            the circumference of the word by a shadow at noon on the summer solstice.
            We lost a great deal of knowledge when Rome fell.
            ______________________

            B says:
            jeffery--i thought that for masons the beehive symbolized the quality:
            industry?

            jeffery says:
            Yes, the ritual does say that, but symbols work on multiple levels.
            Sometimes the ritual explanation is the lowest level of meaning.

            barry answers:
            Jeffery--

            i dug around and i think i see where you are going with this conflation of
            ideas
            between the beehive and the omphalos and the apis bull , AKA Serapis,
            and its association with Osiris etc etc etc.

            when i came upon a reference that described Serapis as representing the
            "animus mundi"
            or spirit of the materal world, my imagination kicked in.
            ok so i will trip[ along with you here.

            i found no mention of anything to actually backs up your interpretation ,
            but i think you have found an interesting groove.
            i think one could build a case for your conflation of ideas.
            even if direct reference to a masonic mystery is lost.
            it certainly might make viable imagery for a symbolic shrine.
            thats why there are always sects people like to see certain aspects of any
            faith
            emphasized and elevated.

            i can certainly see a beehive (an apiary) as representing both "industry"
            in the masonic sense
            as well as an image of the world as a hive of ceaseless activity.
            that its shape is similar to that of an omphalos is a nice bit of
            serindipity.
            also like the homing pigeons or doves usually associated with the omphalos
            shrines,
            bees also always find thier way back the the hive .
            that it's fulled with tiny hexagons symbolizing divine order adds a nice
            touch.

            i think the Mormons are very fond of the beehive symbol and use it
            prominantly.
            this is not too surprising since they have their roots in masonry.
            howewver the way they founded the salt lake area as their capitol makes the
            use of the beehive
            as an omphalos appropriate even if it was not intentional.

            so... you still have not come out with what your own idea was about all this.
            or why you wondered about this in the first place
            let's have it.
            inquiring minds want to know! B

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 18, 1999
              Greetings!