The Muslim in the Moon

  • brian_212@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2001
      Over the last few days the words of the Egyptian Negative Confession
      have run through my mind: "I did not pry into matters." And so, I
      have decided to leave the qibla-kabbala conjunction alone, for the
      time being anyway. The Israelis are dead serious about making
      Jerusalem the capitol. It's not a speculative matter.

      I happened to find a couple of websites concerned with the qibla
      alone, which fit the theme of "archaeoastronomy." Here's a quote from
      one:

      If and when a Muslim lands on the moon, it will obviously not be
      possible to face the earthly Ka'bah in the service of prayer; nor to
      follow the sun's rising, passing the meridian and setting on Earth.
      What I humbly submit to the Muslim jurists is to construct a Ka'bah
      on the moon, at the point which would be face to face with the
      earthly Ka'bah, during equinox time, during a full moon night when
      our satellite is just above Mecca. That is, a bit North of the centre
      of the face of the moon that we see. I think that would lie in the
      region named "Ocean of Tranquillity". I am personally so much the
      more convinced of this solution, since the Ka'bah is not confined to
      the building of the ten odd yards high, but also what is above in the
      atmosphere up to the heaven. In a Hadith of al-Bukhari, the Holy
      Prophet is reported to have said that the Earthly Ka'bah is the
      antipode of the mosque of the angels underneath the Throne of God,
      (and so exactly so that if one were to throw a stone from there, it
      would fall on the top of the Ka'bah on earth). The great savant Ibn
      Kathir (Bidayah, 1, 163) reports that there is a particular Ka'bah on
      each of the seven heavens, each for the use of the inhabitants of
      that heaven. He adds (Tafsir, on surah 52, verse 4) the name of the
      Ka'bah on the seventh heaven is al-Bait al-Ma'mur, and that the
      earthly Ka'bah is at exactly the antipode of this heavenly Ka'bah.
      Our Ka'bah symbolizes as a window opening on the Divine Throne. If
      that is so, the permanent residents of the moon may even go there for
      pilgrimage, since coming to earth for that purpose would be too much
      for them. This solution may help later to determine the point of the
      Qiblah on other stars and planets also, if man alights and settles
      there. It may by the way be pointed out that the days and nights on
      the moon are not of about 12 hours each, but of 14 days each. The
      timing differs on different celestial bodies.
      http://muslim-canada.org/qibla.html

      Here's another one, an advert for a earthly qibla compass:
      http://www.stanleylondon.com/qiblacompass.htm

      Brian
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2001
        wow mike-

        this is as esoteric problem i had never considered.
        thanks for sending this in.