Re: [sl] Note to SL Lurkers

    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2001
      My thanks to all the people lurking on the list who wrote in answer to
      my question about what topics you are interested in, was there anything
      we could do to fire you up so that you would come out of the shadows and
      we could meet and greet you?

      Neil Fernandez wrote:

      > Even in a friendly
      > group such as this, this can sometimes be because people are afraid that
      > what they have got to say might not be considered very interesting or
      > might be 'old hat'. (Hey, lurker friends!, please don't think like that!
      > Take the plunge! I've seen lists where domineering idiots jump on new
      > contributors and put them down, and the sacredlandscape list is
      > definitely not like that at all - it's at the other end of the
      > spectrum).
      >
      > My main interests are long-distance lines/alignments and what might be
      > called 'universalist' mathematics (not restricted to geometry, but
      > including number theory, etc.). Of course, both of these interests
      > connect with many other different fields, including for example
      > archaeoastronomy, hermeticism, metrology, history of religion and rule.
      > (See my posts to the mailing list over the years).

      Thanks Neil! I think the SL list is a pretty friendly place, too. If
      things get too heated, the moderators send a private message to people
      to cool it, but this rarely happens.

      j1frog@... wrote:

      > I am a very ignorant of sacred geometry, but am interested and trying to
      > learn. I do not wish to clutter your list with gabble. If I ever feel that I
      > have somethiong pertinent to say I will do so. Until then, thanks for letting
      > me lurk.
      >
      > Kindest regards,
      >
      > Froggie444

      Hi, Froggie444 - You're welcome, lurk anytime. Hope you are learning
      what you need re sacred geometry.
      If you have any questions, let us know.

      David Maybury wrote:

      > I read a very small percentage of the postings, mostly from lack of time. I
      > subscribed to the list because I was interested in sacred geometry, and that
      > interest led me to becoming involved in building a labryinth. I find
      > occasional gems in SL postings, appreciate the overall tone of civility and
      > the erudition displayed in many of the postings.
      > I don't post because my knowledge is best shared through other
      > media--movement and kinesthetics mainly. Also I don't have many answers,
      > just questions that fuel my practice.

      Hello David - One thing that I do to cut down on the amount of time I
      spend with a couple of other e-lists is to get them in Digest form, so
      that only one post arrives and I can scan the content header to see if
      there is anything interesting I want to look at. A lot of SL people do
      this but alot don't, as well, they get all the posts individually. You
      can switchover if you like by going to

      If you don't have answers but questions that fuel your practice, we
      would be interested to hear them and also to hear about your experiences
      with the labyrinth.

      Rich Pederick wrote:

      > My particular interests are archaeoastronomy, ancient
      > sites, holy wells, the pagan/christian interface, and
      > notions of the landscape as a 'temple'. I am intrigued by
      > the ways in which we, and our predecessors before us,
      > interacted with the landscape as a sacred space.
      >
      > So in the meantime i shall keep lurking and being amazed by
      > the depth and breadth of knowledge members of this list
      > have.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Rich

      Thanks for the kind words, Rich! SL members have delved into many a
      quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore. However, we're also
      interested in personal experiences, sudden illuminations, fresh
      perspectives, wild theories, and trail-breaking questions. I think of
      it as kind of a human chain into the center of the labyrinth.

      Virginia Burt wrote:

      > Dear Dan
      > I travel lots
      > on business and find that if the current topics are not relevant to my work
      > at the time that I lurk only.
      > the sunshine and moonshine out in Nature and
      > our garden and time with my true love attract my attention and spirit so
      > much more upon arriving home to my nest of love and light.)

      > Virginia T. Burt
      > Visionscapes Landscape Architects Inc.
      > www.spirithealinggardens.com

      Hi, Virginia! Always great to hear from you. Thanks for the poetry, my
      soul felt better just reading your letter.

      IAMMYRIAH@... wrote:

      > Often there are curious synchronicities
      > between the work I am doing and subject matter that comes up on the list.
      >
      > The work on this list is profound, for sure and for certain. Don't get lost
      > in paranoia simply because not everybuddy replies. You are keepers of sacred
      > knowledge here, and you just never know how you will positively affect
      > another by sharing what you do here.
      >
      > Always with Love,
      > Myriah

      Thanks, Myriah. People do say that they eat the seeds of the sacred and
      the profound on this list. I hadn't thought of it before, but maybe we
      are priests in the holy precincts of mysterious beauty.

      You should check out Myriah's web site http://www.grassesroots.com/

      Gotta go, everybuddy - More later.
    • HaIberMensch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2001
        i, too, am a bit of a lurker as my intellectual interests and pursuits are
        quite different from those discussed here. but as someone else said, i just
        "lurk" because i find all of you very interesting and im learning new things
        about subjects that ive never even thought about.. kind of like the more you
        know, the more you dont know.. so here are few things that currently interest
        me (though i'm sure these things will most likely not come up in discussions):
        contemporary visual artistic movements, myths and storytelling traditions,
        contemporary tribalism (mainly the social aspect and the music), chemical
        experimentation, and i've recently been becoming interested in euclidean
        geometry although i'm not well versed in mathematics, i find the theories and
        their applications to be interesting.
        ok, enough about me! go on being interesting.... : )

        danw@... writes:

        > My thanks to all the people lurking on the list who wrote in answer to
        > my question about what topics you are interested in, was there anything
        > we could do to fire you up so that you would come out of the shadows and
        > we could meet and greet you?
      • sas
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2001
          i've posted a few times...but don't say much...i share an interest in sacred
          space...including the computer hard drive...susun
          VIRUS ALERT...from my ISP...
          Attention all BlueMarble customers:

          BlueMarble has become aware of a email virus that is spreading
          very quickly, showing its first infections approximately midnight last
          night. Although this virus did not originate on our network, it has been
          confirmed that it has been emailed to some BlueMarble customers.

          This virus is only contracted by opening the attachment. If you do
          receive the email virus, immediately delete it. You should never open
          email attachements from individuals you do not recognize. The simple
          action of opening attachments can cause damage to your personal computer,
          and contribute to the spread of the virus itself.

          For more general information about email viruses, go to our
          Knowledge Base at http://kb.bluemarble.net/default.asp and enter the
          keyword "virus."

          This particular virus is called the 'Homepage' virus. Below is
          information on prevention and removal of the virus. Even if you have not
          seen evidence of this virus on your computer, save this email for
          reference in case that you do.

          The virus is spread by way of e-mail. Infected email clients send
          out the virus to all entries in their address book without the user
          knowing it. Thus, the email will appear to be from someone you know. The
          subject line of the infected e-mail will read "homepage", and will have an
          attachment file named "Homepage.HTML.vbs". Also, the body of the e-mail
          will read "Hi! You've got to see this page! It's really cool ;O)".

          Based on current information, we believe that this virus can only
          be spread through the program Microsoft Outlook. This does not mean that
          you cannot receive the message, but that you cannot become infected. The
          attachment, once viewed will run the executable program and send itself to
          all of the addresses in your address book. It also will randomly open
          Internet Explorer to a number of pornographic web sites. Although not a
          potentially system destroying virus, it can cause lock-ups due to many
          open applications (the Internet Explorers continuing to open, and so
          on...) on your computer. Due to the way that it transfers to others, it
          will also cause vast slow-downs, or even down-time, with the mail servers
          that infected customers make use of.

          PREVENTION:

          Scan the subject lines on all incoming messages for the word 'Homepage',
          and then delete the message without reading it or opening any
          attachements.

          REMOVAL:

          If your computer is infected, simply remove all files named
          VBS.VBSWG2.D@mm and/or
          VBS.VBSWG2.X@mm

          Windows users: You can find files on your computer by going to
          START -> SEARCH -> FOR FILES OR FOLDERS

          Enter the file names above, and select to search on your C: Drive

          Macintosh users: Use Sherlock, which can be found in your Apple menu.

          Also, send email messages to your entire address book to inform them that
          they may have received the virus from your email address.

          Further Information:
          http://www.f-secure.com/news/2001/news_2001050900.shtml
          http://www.norman.com/virus_info/vbs_vbswg_x.shtml
          http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.vbswg2.d@...

          Sincerely,

          Adam and the BlueMarble Technical Support Staff
          Telephone: 1-888-242-4013
          Email: support@...