A Theory of Everything

  • mikebispham@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      v1

      Hi John and Everyone.

      I've had another rush of blood to the brain, which seems to me to provide an
      important new insight into the issues we've been exploring. See what you
      think. Please forgive the narrative approach, I'm pressed for time, and find
      it easiest to write if I'm 'talking' to somebody!

      I wanted to take another look at the lambda, which according to Plato
      describes part of the divine maths of creation. I started with at look at
      etymological roots. I won't go into every detail, because that will obscure
      the overall picture:

      Lambda: 11th letter of the greek alphabet, " A consonant transliterated as
      1."; related to hebrew 'Lamed'.

      Lamed: 12th letter of the hebrew alphebet, from hebrew 'ox-goad' from its
      shape. (Remember that ox goad.)

      Even: related to Eve, event, every, related to latin eventus - a happening,
      from venire - to come.

      Odd: 'Od - archaic 'God', 'ode' from greek 'eidos' - 'shape', 'form' from
      greek 'Hudos' - a way, path. Odin - Norse supreme creater god, god of
      wisdom. Links (one imagines) to odysey and odyseus. The pathmaker/Governer.

      David Roth quite confidently describes the Creation/Adam and Eve story as an
      encapsulation of an older story in which Eve is 'Mother of all living'. "Her
      hebrew name is Hawwah, and jewish tradition links this very rare name with
      the prime verbal root ' to make live' - 'hayar - which is in itsef an
      Akkadian word."

      So Eve is, etymologically speaking, shaping up nicely as the personification
      of the mother/female/even side of the lambda. Similarly, 'Od, Odin and
      Odysseus can be postulated as corresponding to the father/male/odd side. The
      Lambda itself might be linked to a meaning found in 'ox-goad'

      The Lambda then is looking like an expression of a mathematical understanding
      of the underlying world, a creation theory, based itself on ancient ideas
      concerning a mother/father duality.

      Now we've seen this duality before in the matter/form duality that became the
      official position on substance in the catholic 'hylomorphism', and I've
      speculated in the past that the vesica pisces, traditionally understood as a
      device that describes just this duality, and its result.(matter and spirit is
      the usual interpretation, together with 'coming into being' and 'doorway, or
      entrance')

      So, the etymology of the vesica pisces

      Vesica: vessel, 'Vesta' roman goddess (of the hearth - cosmic hearth?),
      linked to 'vestan' - chaste nun. Vestment - clothing. That's working fine
      as a picture of the female, passive and receptive, mother/mater/matter, eve
      and even. The Cup.

      Pisces is harder however. The fish, maybe a reference to the astrological
      period? Now the tricky bit. Remember that hebrew root for Lambda, lamed,
      'from its shape, ox-goad'?

      Ox is obvious. The Bull, An earlier inhabitant of Pisces' role; The Ruler.

      Goad, as in 'spur', egg on? Or as in GOARD, container, vessel? That's more
      like it; Ox/male/pattern, goard/female/receptacle. A back-to-front vesica
      ox. The only difference is the astrological charactor.

      Building on this, we can see that while the female/passive/even/matter side
      of this equation remains steady from ancient hebrew through plato and the
      classical world, the male/active/odd principle is cast as the *ruling
      astrological charactor*.

      Someone will, I'm sure write to tell me that the ox/bull/taurean side doesn't
      fit the chronological bill. I think it does, at least according to my 12th
      C. schema of the elements, which shows Taurus-Aries-Pisces-Aquarius. Which
      is where we are now isn't it? And Aries, right in the middle, the
      Ram/Lamb(da)? (Buggers up the first theory I know, but its just as good!)
      Until then, I'm suggesting that the piscean side of the matter/form
      expression, the vesica pisces, is simply the 'Form' given during *a fixed
      time period*.

      Interestingly, this make time itself part of these equations; the very idea
      of Time takes on a new importance. Of course, Time began with the Creation -
      of course its important. Without Time, we couldn't 'Be'. And we can link
      this idea to the expressions of harmonic accordance in time that are
      demonstrated in the 'cultural numbers' that involve time. Of course, a king,
      or line of rulers should be governed by a harmonic of the time-structure of
      the world. (Ruler - measurer of time?) Etc.

      So the 'Form' that is united with matter in the great copulating dance (the
      Lambada!?), is shaped by the great-year governors, the astrological rulers of
      that time. We can see this in the harmonic relations of cultural numbers and
      the precessional year.

      A diagram of the great duality, which conforms perfectly in several senses to
      both the VP and the Lambda - the two most striking precision-expressions of
      the nuts and bolts of Being, and the textual account, hylomorphism:

      PISCES VESICA
      TAURUS GOARD
      ODD EVEN
      ODIN EVE
      2NESS 3NESS (2*3 = 6, or sex, the first perfect number, and the rest!)
      MALE FEMALE
      FORM MATERIAL
      SPIRIT MATTER
      PATER MATER

      The result of the union is Being, exquisitely tuned to the musical 5th in
      structure. Time likewise tuned; events in time tuned, harmonised, literally,
      mathematically, with the rhythm of the heavens.

      The arithmetic expression of the great male/female dance is through the
      harmonics of the Lambda.

      The geometric expression is through the harmonics of geometry, (itself
      containing a still more intricate account of creation.)

      Both these, and the expression of time-order, are found in the
      vesica-pisces/goard-ox

      The resulting dance is tuned to the 5th, the first and choiciest harmonic,
      'sesquialter' - 'sex'?

      There's work to be done here, this is clearly an evolving vision, but... is
      this making sense?

      Mike
    • jjd4578@u.cc.utah.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
        --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., mikebispham@c... wrote:

        >Even: related to Eve, event, every, related to latin eventus - a
        >happening, from venire - to come.

        Its immediate etymology ( in Middle English and Anglo-Saxon )
        develops ideas of equality and smoothness ( evening as a smooth
        division between day and night ) or division into equal parts.

        >Odd: 'Od - archaic 'God', 'ode' from greek 'eidos' -'shape', 'form'
        >from greek 'Hudos' - a way, path. Odin - Norse supreme creater god,
        >god of wisdom. Links (one imagines) to odysey and odyseus. The
        >pathmaker/Governer.

        Its immediate etymology is from the Icelandic 'oddi', a triangle,
        a point of land, an odd number, also 'oddr' the point of a weapon
        ( perhaps it is the oddr which divides the evens ! )

        I like the 'eidos' 'hudos' etymology. Heidegger who had so much
        to say about the origin of our word 'idea' from 'eidos' and
        'idein' 'to see,' surprisingly had nothing so say about its
        connection with 'Hudos' - way, path, even though he loved the notion
        of Wegenmarks.
        As well as paths in the forest which do not go anywhere and end up
        nowhere. Or rather end up in the thick of the woods. 'Hudos' also
        suggests the arabic 'hadi' - a guide. By the way, his philosophical
        approach was the exact opposite of developing a theory of everything
        which he considered one of the curses of the modern world.

        What about the primes? Ought we not to reserve a special place
        for them? Perhaps they are the very timbers of the world.

        And what about fractions, or at the least - even divisions of the
        odds?

        And what about the Fibonacci series - it is both even and odd and
        is a unique series which is related to geometrical growth
        and structure in nature?

        I am just joking Mike.

        However, ( although mathematics is not my main interest, just a
        recent one, I can not resist giving you Leahy's take on a specific
        converging series of odds and evens which incorporates a side of his
        square of diagonal 144 ( an ancient Druid number if Iuliano is
        correct ) and the infinite Fibonacci series whose ratios converge to
        the transcendental Golden Ratio 1.618033988749894... and whose sum
        is a fair approximation to the square root of one of the central
        numbers in modern Physics - the fine structure constant

        a = e^2/4PiE(h/2Pi)c = .007297352533

        where

        e = the elementary charge
        E = the electric constant( 1/Mc^2 )=8.854187817E-12
        M = magnetic constant = 4Pi*10^-7
        h = planck constant = 6.62606876E-34
        c = speed of light in vacuum = 299792458

        Leahy's series is

        infinity

        a^x = SIGMA (x^F[n]/((2i-1)y^x))-(x^F[n]/((2i-x)y^x))+
        ((x^F[n]/2iy^x))
        i = 1

        where x = 1/2, F[n] are the Fibonnaci numbers

        0 1 1 2 3 5 8 12 21 34 55 89 144 ...

        y = the length of a side of a square whose diagonal = 144
        and 'a' is the fine structure constant .007297352533.

        The series converges at .0854241... ~ .08542445... -
        about the square root of the fine structure. It is accurate
        to 5 parts in one million.

        " In QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter ( Princeton, 1985 ),
        the late Richard Feynman wrote concerning .08542455, "It's one of
        the *greatest* damn mysteries of physics: *a magic number* that comes
        to us with no understanding by man. You might say the 'hand of God'
        wrote that number, and 'we don't know how he pushed his pencil.' We
        know what kind of dance to do experimentally to mesure this number
        very accurately, but we dont' know what kind of dance to do on a com-
        puter to make this number come out-without putting it in secretly!"

        - D.G.Leahy, Foundation, page 524 note 98 ( SUNY 1996 )

        It is a progression of a subtraction and addition of the series
        of fractions whose numerators are 1/2 raised to the powers of
        the Golden Ratio series and whose denominators are the product
        of a progression of alternating odd and even halve digits
        and the square root of side of a cube whose diagonal is 144.

        However, if you think this is interesting the magic number
        82944 yeilds the inverse of the fine structure constant in
        an even more simple and accurate manner -

        ( courtesy of J.Iuliano and D.G.Leahy )

        where 82944 is the square of 1^1 + 2^2 + 3^3 + 4^4

        the square of the sum of the tetrakys raised to its powers

        raised to the power of one divided by a circle divided by

        its diameter equals ten square the cosine of one divided

        by the fine structure constant !

        82944^(1/PI) = 10^2 * COSINE[137.036000986]

        where the actual fine structure constant = 137.035999935

        with a difference of 8 parts in one billion

        82944 * 10^22 is the integral product of Genesis 3 -

        "And God said let there be light!"

        The product of the odd characters.

        So you may be right after all ( I know a far cry from
        sexuality ! ) the odds and the evens may be at the root
        of existence since 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10 !

        John DePompeo
      • mikebispham@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
          In a message dated 02/04/01 05:32:13 GMT Daylight Time, jjd4578@...
          writes:

          > --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., mikebispham@c... wrote:
          >
          > >Even: related to Eve, event, every, related to latin eventus - a
          > >happening, from venire - to come.
          >
          > Its immediate etymology ( in Middle English and Anglo-Saxon )
          > develops ideas of equality and smoothness ( evening as a smooth
          > division between day and night ) or division into equal parts.

          The 'smoothness' strikes me as indicative of another important aspect of the
          feminine principle, accented in the Greek as 'reconcilliation' or 'love'.
          In Timeaus the primary qualities are 'sameness' and 'difference', and I think
          the female provides a personification of the tendency toward
          smoothness/sameness.

          > >Odd: 'Od - archaic 'God', 'ode' from greek 'eidos' -'shape', 'form'
          > >from greek 'Hudos' - a way, path. Odin - Norse supreme creater god,
          > >god of wisdom. Links (one imagines) to odysey and odyseus. The
          > >pathmaker/Governer.
          >
          > Its immediate etymology is from the Icelandic 'oddi', a triangle,
          > a point of land, an odd number, also 'oddr' the point of a weapon
          > ( perhaps it is the oddr which divides the evens ! )

          I think that's just perfect, from the point of view of the Greek. The
          triangle, 3 sided, first (2D) figure. A dividing, disrupting influence (I
          don't know any men like that : ) Difference.

          > I like the 'eidos' 'hudos' etymology. Heidegger who had so much
          > to say about the origin of our word 'idea' from 'eidos' and
          > 'idein' 'to see,' surprisingly had nothing so say about its
          > connection with 'Hudos' - way, path, even though he loved the notion
          > of Wegenmarks.

          'Idea' is of course very big. We are all the result of the very first Big
          Idea, in God's mind. (Can I remind everyone that when I say things like
          this, I'm not expressing personal beliefs, but trying to think and write in
          the context of the subject. Trying to get into their heads. I wouldn't
          want any confusion about that! Especially, I do not subscribe to any views
          that suggest men should be active and women passive etc! Quite the
          opposite; I think women generally have had enough of that kind of thing for
          the next few thousand years! )

          Idea "via late latin from greek: model, pattern, notation, from idein, to
          see."

          Idea is linked to 'Ideal', as in the Platonic World of Ideal Forms. (God's
          Ideas, which became in the middle ages 'Universals'. A concept opposed by
          Aristotle) Just as 'Idea' describes "the universal architype or essence of
          any class of things or concepts"... it must also link with creation and
          creativity. It is (in the platonic world) the means of becoming for any
          Thing.

          I think this is describing aspects of the Male, active force, linking notions
          of creative thought through to deed.

          > As well as paths in the forest which do not go anywhere and end up
          > nowhere. Or rather end up in the thick of the woods.

          You made that up!

          > 'Hudos' also
          > suggests the arabic 'hadi' - a guide. By the way, his philosophical
          > approach was the exact opposite of developing a theory of everything
          > which he considered one of the curses of the modern world.

          Yes; what I'm trying to do is reconstruct the ancient theory of everything,
          and track its development and influence. Which might have been one of the
          curses of the ancient world; its difficult to tell, as yet!

          Timeaus' emphasis, vis-a-vis the male/female divide is instructive. The
          created world is a two-part beast (literally 'animal' *at least in my
          translation*). First is made the female world-soul, containing the
          proporting device of the lambda.

          "Whereas he made the soul in origin and excellence prior to and
          older than the body, to be the ruler and mistress, of whom the body
          was to be the subject. "

          The World-soul is female,

          "And he made her out of the following elements
          and on this wise: Out of the indivisible and unchangeable, and also
          out of that which is divisible and has to do with material bodies,
          he compounded a third and intermediate kind of essence, partaking of
          the nature of the same and of the other, and this compound he placed
          accordingly in a mean between the indivisible, and the divisible and
          material. He took the three elements of the same, the other, and the
          essence, and mingled them into one form, compressing by force the
          reluctant and unsociable nature of the other into the same. When he
          had mingled them with the essence and out of three made one, he
          again divided this whole into as many portions as was fitting, each
          portion being a compound of the same, the other, and the essence.
          And he proceeded to divide after this manner:-First of all, he took
          away one part of the whole [1], "... and into the whole lambda process.

          The Female World Soul is fashioned from the elements of "the indivisible and
          unchangeable" (can you see any primes in that 'indivisible' John?) ...
          partaking of the nature of the same and the other."

          The material world, fashioned from the newly forged, but similarly
          proportioned elements is male. Plato/Timeaus doesn't actually specify this,
          but he does refer to the material 'animal as male.

          "This he finished off, making the surface smooth all around for
          many reasons; in the first place, because the living being had no need
          of eyes when there was nothing remaining outside him to be seen; nor
          of ears when there was nothing to be heard;..."

          So, if I've got this right, Plato/Timeaus' take is:

          Creator: Father (although I've seen claims that the original should be
          translated as 'the architects' - plural.)

          (Next the creation of the Elements, Fire first, then Earth, duly proportioned)

          Created: a two-fold male/female, made as follows:

          "Now when the Creator had framed the soul according to his will, he
          formed within her the corporeal universe, and brought the two
          together, and united them centre to centre. The soul, interfused
          everywhere from the centre to the circumference of heaven, of which
          also she is the external envelopment, herself turning in herself,
          began a divine beginning of never ceasing and rational life enduring
          throughout all time. "

          First World Soul (Intelligence) - Female
          Second Material World Animal - Male

          Both duly proportioned.

          This is a striking reversal of the pattern we see elsewhere. Or perhaps just
          an elaboration. We still have a father/creator, but the created world is a
          hylomorphic - type being with the usual male female roles swapped.

          Furthermore, this is far from the simple male/odd female/even picture of the
          Lambda we've seen so far. Or perhaps that's built in, in such a way that the
          female world soul partakes of some maleness as she is formed by the lambda.

          This picture certainly seems kinder to the values of femininity, attributing
          the eternal qualities of reasoning and intelligence to her. A break for The
          Lady then, from OT and Catholic male-patterned universes.

          Lots to learn.

          Mike