Re: [sl] Open availability of archives of this list

  • nagasiva@luckymojo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14 1:33 PM
      information wants to be free! how are we going to revolutionize the world
      if we remain self-enclosed? I like the archives searchable and public,
      being one vote among many.

      seyfert-1

      > Hi. I just found out to my surprise that the archives of emails to this
      > list are available to non-members - in fact, individual emails to the
      > list will even be returned by websearch engines such as Google.
      >
      > Wondered how other members felt about this. I tend to the view that the
      > archives should be available to members only - although of course anyone
      > can become a member.

      > Neil Fernandez
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27 11:49 PM
        neil--
        i have thought a lot about your post
        since it first came in.

        i 'm content with the present set up because
        i believe it serves to advertise the group.
        As nominal list manager, i am too lame technically to
        promote the list in an agressive way, tho
        i think some of our members do a bit of this
        on their own.

        my hope is that those who care enough about
        the subjects we cover on this list to read
        our archives in the first place may wish to
        become members.
        the point is i think it serves a good purpose
        to keep the archives open.

        on the other hand i do get uncomfortable about
        the "free beer" attitude that some folks have about stuff on the web.
        if you reuse things that you take, you are supposed to give credit.
        My goal is always to encourage participation and contributions.
        Likewise i always wonder what interests all the readers
        we rarely hear from.

      • brian_212@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2001
          > my hope is that those who care enough about
          > the subjects we cover on this list to read
          > our archives in the first place may wish to
          > become members.
          > on the other hand i do get uncomfortable about
          > the "free beer" attitude that some folks have about stuff on the
          web.
          > if you reuse things that you take, you are supposed to give
          credit.

          Yes, indeed, Yahoo/Egroups discussions are even quoted in the
          mainstream press. It's like the Masonic beehive symbol: Knowledge is
          like honey, and you can have some honey if you're nice, but just
          don't make the bees angry! I haven't found what I was searching for,
          which is O.K., because I like to pursue original, or at least arcane,
          research. I will post about my subject when I have had a chance to
          think it over. That way I'll be compensating all of you for what I've
          used. In the meantime, let's look at some pictures. This is Yemen,
          known for its mud architecture:
          http://www.yemenweb.com/gallary/picture.htm

          Brian