[sacredlandscapelist] From Moellendorf: Happy99 Virus Alert

  • David T. Moellendorf
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 1999
      Friends,
      If anyone receives an email, from someone you know,
      and it shows that it has an attachment ---- and if, when you open
      the email, you see an Icon for the attachment and it has the name
      "Happy99" ---- you just received a virus. If you do not attempt
      to open the attachment by clicking on it, you WILL NOT infect
      your computer.
      Immediately close the email and delete it. Next, go to your
      folder that says "Deleted Items", "Recycle Bin", or "Trash Bin",
      or something like that, locate the email you just deleted from your
      email program, and delete it once again.
      If you already have the virus, make a copy or print out of
      all the names and true Internet addresses in your email address
      book, then delete all of them. If you don't, your computer will
      spread the virus to the names in your email address book every
      time you log on to the Internet to send email.
      You can get this virus from a list-server just as easily.
      I have posted this to several lists and I know that it is off-topic.
      However, Happy99 and its predecessor have already brought
      down a number of list-servers and the count is increasing as I
      write. Yes this is off topic --- under the situation, I don't care.
      The fastest way to get rid of it is to buy a copy of
      McAfee's virus protection program --- don't install it until you
      read the directions for dealing with an infected computer --- and
      after you are up and running again, go back on to the Internet
      to McAfee's Site and download the specific virus definition designed
      to wipe out "Macro viruses". It is only their most recent virus
      definition that contains the specific definition for viruses "Melissa",
      and "Happy99".
      Best to you all. And like David Letterman
      says when he knows better than to do what he just did, "Please,
      please, don't write letters!!!" I know this is off-topic.
      Sincerely, David

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sacredlandscapelist
    • b. j tinnell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
        Thanks for caring about us all and our computers enough to send us such
        an important albeit off topic post. Keep up the good work!
        Barbara
        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
          Dear Barbara,
          Thanks for the kind words. It is your single email that
          makes up for the one I received from a list owner (Grave-L)
          who chose to cancel me for my "caring". Although I don't get any
          time to post to Sacredlandscape, I do squeeze in enough time to
          read through it each day. Although some lists threaten to lynch
          a fellow for posting photographic attachments to a list, I am glad
          that Barry posted the two that he did. Had I needed to fire-up
          a Web Browser to go elsewhere to see those two beautiful
          creations, I would not have had the time to do so, and would
          never have seen them. My loss. There are times when bending
          rules so as to benefit one's "extended family", is a risk worth
          taking. Again, thanks, your note makes up for the "might-makes-
          right" email I got.
          Sincerely, to all,