Re: The Bembine Table of Isis

  • Prophet 718
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      --- In sacredlandscapelist@egroups.com, "Alexandre Weber"
      <weber@c...>
      wrote:
      > Hi List, Happy New Year to all,
      >
      > In the book The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall we
      can
      read at
      > page. 76 'A manuscript by Thomas Taylor contain the following
      remarkable
      > paragraph: "Plato was initiated into the 'Greater Mysteries'at the
      age of
      > 49. The initiation took place in one of the subterranean halls of
      the Great
      > Pyramid in Egypt. The ISIAC TABLE formed the altar, before which
      the
      Divine
      > Plato stood and received that which was always his, but which the
      ceremony
      > of Mysteries enkindled and brought from its dormant state."
      > This Table is the only past document ,that I found, witch links the
      zodiacal
      > signs and the Tarot Trumps almost in the way ( beside in two
      dimensions) as
      > I did in the Domus , inside the octahedron, could anyone give some
      clues or
      > hints about this table, any help will be very appreciate.

      Greetings,

      Here are a couple of links, FWIW,

      http://penelope.uchicago.edu/oddnotes/bembo.html

      http://www.prs.org/books/book311.htm

      http://www.xrefer.com/entry/251675

      http://www.xrefer.com/entry/251675

      http://www.prs.org/books/book310.htm

      http://www.bookrags.com/books/gidan/PART6.htm

      http://alexm.here.ru:8081/mirrors/www.enteract.com/jwalz/Eliade/155.ht
      ml

      Prophet 718
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2001
        alexandre--
        because of your post, i was happy to have
        the chance to read about the Bembine Table of Isis
        in Manley Hall's, The Secret Teachings of All Ages
        and in the much better links SL member sent in.
        *
        Based on Manley Hall's own account, the Table appears
        designed to present the very sort of material
        that interests you--that is "linking the zodiac with Tarot cards"--
        but just like the links, the sources he quotes conclude that
        it may not really be Egyptian but instead
        "it reflects the neoplatonism of a later period".
        He ends the chapter with a quote from someone who
        gives the opinion that it was likely commissioned by
        an individual for personal use.

        Judging by the date when it first surfaced--
        [1527, according to Hall]
        it seems likely the item was produced near the
        beginning of the Rennaisance. I would add that
        this is the same era when the Corpus Hermeticum
        and some other well-know Neoplatonic documents
        of alleged Egyptian origin began to circulate thanks
        in part to the newly-invented printing press.
        At that time Egypt was seen as a pure source of
        pre-christian knowledge. In this same era the
        Jewish Kaballah was viewed in a similar way.
        To present a collection of Neoplatonic writing as
        translated from ancient Egyptian sources--by adding
        "old fashioned flavor"-- guaranteed readers.

        PS **
        Pet Peeve

        The dramatic quote Manley Hall uses to open the chapter---
        Plato's initiation in subterreanean tunnels under the Pyramid---
        seems used simply to illustrate the legend that surrounds
        the thing. As mentioned, Hall himself casts doubt on its
        Egyptian origin and it seems unlikely that Plato got near it.

        The quote itself is fabulist nonsense. Was this Thomas Taylor
        present at the event? What is the basis for this claim?
        When authors present this kind of thing as true, it muddies up
        the water and is not very helpful at getting to the facts.

        [for my money, the setting for the initiation
        might as well be Santa Claus' subterreanean
        workshop at the North Pole, the Easter Bunny's
        egg factory or the Tooth Fairy's castle.
        I'll boil my shoe and eat it on Edgar Cayce's front
        porch when they find those tunnels.]

        Happy New Year

        At 11:59 AM 12/28/00 -0200, you wrote:
        >Hi List, Happy New Year to all,
        >
        >In the book The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall we can read at
        >page. 76 'A manuscript by Thomas Taylor contain the following remarkable
        >paragraph: "Plato was initiated into the 'Greater Mysteries'at the age of
        >49. The initiation took place in one of the subterranean halls of the Great
        >Pyramid in Egypt. The ISIAC TABLE formed the altar, before which the Divine
        >Plato stood and received that which was always his, but which the ceremony
        >of Mysteries enkindled and brought from its dormant state."
        >This Table is the only past document ,that I found, witch links the zodiacal
        >signs and the Tarot Trumps almost in the way ( beside in two dimensions) as
        >I did in the Domus , inside the octahedron, could anyone give some clues or
        >hints about this table, any help will be very appreciate.
        >
        >Alexandre Weber

      • Vincent Beall
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2001
          Barry, the tunnels were found beneath the Giza monuments in 1998. This was
          the year predicted by Casey for the discovery of the Hall of Records beneath
          the paws of the Sphynx. There is a tunnel that passes under the Sphynx that
          ends at the Tomb of Osirius. The tomb chamber has a door way to an as yet
          unexplored chamber. This was all shown by Dr. Hawass on a tv special program
          hosted by Murray Povitch.

          Vincent

> [...]
          > >paragraph: "Plato was initiated into the 'Greater Mysteries'at the age of
          > >49. The initiation took place in one of the subterranean halls of the
          Great
          > >Pyramid in Egypt. The ISIAC TABLE formed the altar, before which the
          Divine
          > >Plato stood and received that which was always his, but which the
          ceremony
          > >of Mysteries enkindled and brought from its dormant state."
          > >This Table is the only past document ,that I found, witch links the
          zodiacal
          > >signs and the Tarot Trumps almost in the way ( beside in two dimensions)
          as
          > >I did in the Domus , inside the octahedron, could anyone give some clues
          or
          > >hints about this table, any help will be very appreciate.

          Shop Safely Online Without a Credit Card
          http://www.rocketcash.com