Re: [sacredlandscapelist] Hi.

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
      Hello, Javier -

      Welcome to the Sacred Landscape list!

      I am just beginning to look at your site so I will comment on your projects
      later, though I can say that at a brief glance they look very exciting.

      I am very interested in the whole topic of cosmic attunement. what is the
      modern form of architecture that reflects mans place in the universe? Is there
      a marriage of science and religion which will give us a basis for an
      architecture of cosmic attunement like the ancient architecture of astronomical
      alignments?

      I recently came across a book by Chuck Pettis called Secrets of Sacred Spaces
      (Llewellyn, 1999) that you might be interested in. He built an energetically
      and astronomically aligned stone circle, called the Ellis Howe stone circle.
      His book has much information about how to use dowsing and astronomical
      aligments in creating sacred spaces.

      Dan W.

    • mikebispham@cs.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
        Dan, just curious; do you really think dowsing has a sound foundation? Are
        there any reliable studies?

        Mike

        __________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
          Yes, I think there is something there, tho I don't know what.

          Is it electromagnetic as Chris's post from Colin Wilson would indicate?

          Two other items come to mind re this question - 1. Eaman's Cooperative Healing
          experiments indicate a flow of information via copper wire circuits between
          people -- if you put a box of salt in the circuit without their knowing, they can
          tell what it is.

          Eisenberg's book on his experiences in China with Chi Gung masters indicates that
          projected chi is partly electrical - a chi gung master can light up a florescent
          tube by projecting his chi into it.

          Or is dowsing a way to facilitate paranormal powers - I read a fantastic book
          years ago by Kenneth Roberts, the historical novelist, that was about his next
          door neighbor in Kennebunkport Maine who was a fabulous dowser. This man had the
          ability to do map dowsing as well as traditional forked-stick dowsing. Map
          dowsing can only be some kind of parapsychological function. Read this book if
          you can find it and you will never think of dowsing in the same way again.

          Dan W.

          mikebispham@... wrote:

          > Dan, just curious; do you really think dowsing has a sound foundation? Are
          > there any reliable studies?
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > __________________

          > danw@... writes:
          >
          > > Hello, Javier -
          > >
          > > Welcome to the Sacred Landscape list!
          > >
          > > I am just beginning to look at your site so I will comment on your projects
          > > later, though I can say that at a brief glance they look very exciting.
          > >
          > > I am very interested in the whole topic of cosmic attunement. what is the
          > > modern form of architecture that reflects mans place in the universe? Is
          > > there
          > > a marriage of science and religion which will give us a basis for an
          > > architecture of cosmic attunement like the ancient architecture of
          > > astronomical
          > > alignments?
          > >
          > > I recently came across a book by Chuck Pettis called Secrets of Sacred
          > > Spaces
          > > (Llewellyn, 1999) that you might be interested in. He built an
          > > energetically
          > > and astronomically aligned stone circle, called the Ellis Howe stone
          > circle.
          > > His book has much information about how to use dowsing and astronomical
          > > aligments in creating sacred spaces.
          > >
          > > Dan W.
        • CG
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
            Hi Mike and Dan,

            As to dowsing, here is what Colin Wilson has to say about it (you know of
            him, right? Among other books he has written he is an encyclopedist of the
            occult and paranormal matters).
            This passage comes from a broader discussion of the merits and demerits of
            the left-right brain theory.

            In the 1960s, Dr. Zaboj V. Harvalik, a physicist at the University of
            Missouri..."was intrigued by dowsing-- an ability that seems to be possessed
            by all primitive people. Observing that the dowsing rod-- a forked twig,
            with the two prongs of the fork grasped in either hand-- would always react
            to an electric current, he came to suspect that dowsing is basically
            electrical. He drove two lengths of water pipe vertically into the ground,
            60 feet apart, and connected their ends to a powerful battery. As soon as
            the current was switched on, the dowsing rod reacted by twisting in his
            hands. He tried it on friends, and discovered that they could *all* dowse
            if the current was strong enough-- say, 20 milli-amps. A fifth of them were
            able to detect currents as low as 2 milli-amps. All of them improved
            steadily with practice.
            He also noted that people who seemed unable to dowse would suddenly
            "tune in" after drinking a glass of whisky; the whisky obviously relaxed
            them, preventing "left brain" interference.
            Harvalik discovered that a strip of aluminum foil wound round the head
            blocks all dowsing ability, again demonstrating that the phenomenon is
            basically electrical (or magnetic).
            A German master dowser named de Boer was able to detect currents as low
            as a thousandth of a milli-amp. He could even detect the signals of radio
            stations, turning around slowly until he was facing the direction of the
            station. Harvalik could check his accuracy by tuning in a portable radio in
            that direction. Moreover, de Boer could *select* a named frequency to the
            exclusion of other--rather like our ability to "tune in" to different
            conversations at a party.
            When someone invented a magnetometer sensitive enough to detect brain
            waves, Harvalik wondered if a dowser could also pick them up. He would
            stand with his back to a screen in his garden, with earplugs in his ears,
            and ask friends to walk towards him from the other side of the screen. His
            dowsing rod could pick up their presence when they were ten feet away. If
            he asked them to think "exciting thoughts"--for example, about sex-- this
            doubled to twenty feet.
            So it would seem that dowsing is simply a faculty for detecting
            electrical signals. But *how* does the dowsing rod detect them? It seems
            that some part of the body (Harvalik concluded that it was the adrenal
            glands) picks up the signal, which is then passed on to the brain, which
            causes the muscles to convulse. The striped muscles concerned are under the
            control of the right brain. Dowsing-- like telepathy-- is a right brain
            faculty."

            -Colin Wilson, "From Atlantis to the Sphinx"

            I'm sure Mark and other skeptics out there have there own opinion about
            this. What have y'all found out?

            $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
            $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
            $$$$$'`$$$$$$$$$$$$$'`$$$
            $$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$
            $$$$$$$ '$/ `/ `$' .$$$$
            $$$$$$$$. i i /! .$$$$$
            ICQ #: $$$$$$$$$.--'--' $$$$$$ E-Mail:
            52195061 $$^^$$$$$' J$$$$$$ canuck@...
            $$$ ~"" `. .$$$$$$$
            $$$$$e, ; .$$$$$$$$
            $$$$$$$$$$$.' $$$$$$$$$
            $$$$$$$$$$$$. $$$$$$$$
            $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$

            ----------
            >From: mikebispham@...
            >To: sacredlandscapelist@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [sacredlandscapelist] Hi.
            >Date: Mon, Aug 14, 2000, 10:06 PM
            >

            >Dan, just curious; do you really think dowsing has a sound foundation? Are
            >there any reliable studies?
            >
            >Mike
            >
            >__________________
            >
            >In a message dated 14/08/00 14:02:54 GMT Daylight Time,
            >danw@... writes:
            >
            >> Hello, Javier -
            >>
            >> Welcome to the Sacred Landscape list!
            >>
            >> I am just beginning to look at your site so I will comment on your projects
            >> later, though I can say that at a brief glance they look very exciting.
            >>
            >> I am very interested in the whole topic of cosmic attunement. what is the
            >> modern form of architecture that reflects mans place in the universe? Is
            >> there
            >> a marriage of science and religion which will give us a basis for an
            >> architecture of cosmic attunement like the ancient architecture of
            >> astronomical
            >> alignments?
            >>
            >> I recently came across a book by Chuck Pettis called Secrets of Sacred
            >> Spaces
            >> (Llewellyn, 1999) that you might be interested in. He built an
            >> energetically
            >> and astronomically aligned stone circle, called the Ellis Howe stone
            >circle.
            >> His book has much information about how to use dowsing and astronomical
            >> aligments in creating sacred spaces.
            >>
            >> Dan W.

          • Vincent Beall
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000

              > Eisenberg's book on his experiences in China with Chi Gung masters
              indicates that
              > projected chi is partly electrical - a chi gung master can light up a
              florescent
              > tube by projecting his chi into it.

              Is this Dr. Eisenberg who headed up the medical electronics division at the
              George Washington University school of Electrical Engineering during the
              early 70's ?

              Vincent

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
                Hello Javier, good to have you aboard!

                We had a lengthy discussion last year that would have interested you, about a
                church thought to have a number of solar characteristics, and which was
                believed to be designed either by Christopher Wren or a student of his. I'm
                not sure if John, who bought it to our attention is still with us. (John, you
                there?) John introduced us to a new book, Sun in the Church by J L
                Heilbron, which examines the use of certain cathedrals as observatories.
                There's a review if I remember rightly at the Nexus Network site
                http://www.nexusjournal.com You should be able to access this discussion
                from the egroups archives; I'd give you the subject headings, but I can't
                recall them. Perhaps someone else could post them?

                Don't worry about jumping into running topics - we'd never get anywhere if we
                stuck to one at a time!

                Mike

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
                  Vincent Beall wrote:

                  > > Eisenberg's book on his experiences in China with Chi Gung masters
                  > indicates that
                  > > projected chi is partly electrical - a chi gung master can light up a
                  > florescent
                  > > tube by projecting his chi into it.
                  > >

                  > Is this Dr. Eisenberg who headed up the medical electronics division at the
                  > George Washington University school of Electrical Engineering during the
                  > early 70's ?
                  >
                  > Vincent

                  No, this is Dr. David Eisenberg, the Harvard Med School MD who studied Chinese
                  Medicine in China and wrote the book Encounters with Qi: Exploring Chinese
                  Medicine (Norton, 1985)