Re: [sacredlandscapelist] Re: Harry Potter & The Salesman of Venice

  • CG
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Interesting article, Barry. As a Teacher of English as a Second Language in
      Japan I can tell you straight up that it makes a helluva lot of difference
      to non-native speakers how something is spelled, pronounced and referred to
      (lorry for truck).

      Here in Japan, "American English" leads the way-- anything else is slightly
      frowned upon. But when I visited Hong Kong and considered working there the
      reverse is true: there "British English" is favored. Were I to persist in
      teaching "Do you have any money?" instead of the British, "Have you got any
      money?" I would soon be out of a job in Hong Kong! : )

      These things matter, but just not the way the writer is implying.

      52195061 $$^^$$$$$' J$$$$$$ canuck@...