[sacredlandscapelist] Venus & 260

  • Mark Swaney
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 1999
      ABRACADABRA, Please and Thank You, and any other magic words which may
      escape my attention, knowledge or memory,

      Barry and the SL list,

      Where do you find a relationship between Venus and 260? I haven't
      tried to check this out yet, but the books I have read on the
      Mayans say that there is no coorelation between 260 and any known
      natural cycle. I know that the Mayans were big watchers of
      Venus. Veilikofsky(?) was quite impressed by the Mayan intrest in
      Venus. So if there is a connection between 260 days and Venus,
      then it would not be surprising that the Mayans used the number in their
      system.

      The question is somewhat important to me because I am trying to find
      the basis for the commonalities between esoteric numerical
      systems in cultures that evolved in isolation (both distance & time)
      from each other. Obviously, observed natural cycles form the most
      easily explained commonalities. 365 days in a solar year, number of
      days in a lunar month, etc.

      But beyond natural cycles, there are other ways that numbers (and
      geometry, the two are inseperable) can be associated with ideas.
      Logically, anything which is common to two seperate cultures can be the
      basis for a parallel. As we have discussed previously, brains
      are common to all people. Therefore, properties of the brain are common
      to all people, and the experiences associated with the physical
      properties of the brain (like things you see when having a migrain
      headache) are common to all people. So we have the same kinds of rock
      art forms in different places at different times.

      However, what about mathematics itself? What I mean is that 7 is a
      prime number. 7 is prime in India, in America, in 3,000 BC and in the
      foreseeable future. Can pure mathematical considerations alone provide
      a basis for a common belief or structure between cultures?
      I have been thinking along lines that assume that the answer to the
      question is yes. In fact, following along with Plato, one idea might
      have it
      that the more "physical" or "natural" the association with number, the
      less "spiritual" or "magical" it is. It does seem that the pythagoreans
      (and
      others before and after) based a great deal of explanation and
      philosophy on nothing more than the pure mathematical properties of
      whole numbers.

      Having a wonderful wine,
      wish you were beer,
      at the Mountains of Murphy . . .

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sacredlandscapelist
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 1999

        >Barry and the SL list,
        >
        > Where do you find a relationship between Venus and 260? I haven't
        >tried to check this out yet, but the books I have read on the
        >Mayans say that there is no coorelation between 260 and any known
        >natural cycle. I know that the Mayans were big watchers of
        >Venus. Veilikofsky(?) was quite impressed by the Mayan intrest in
        >Venus. So if there is a connection between 260 days and Venus,
        >then it would not be surprising that the Mayans used the number in their
        >system.

        mark--
        i'd be very cautious about anything velikovsky said.
        also i don't know what you are reading, but a lot of popular works on the
        maya that are more than 10 years old are simply out of date. so much has
        been learned in the last decade.

        re venus and 260:
        on the other hand Anthony Aveni is a guy whose work you should get to know.
        he is the godfather of archaeoastronmy. he organized early
        interdisciplinary conferences of the subject and is a prolific, very
        readable writer of various relared topics

        this very subject: the ancient maya -- astronomy and the cult of venus, is
        the title of chapter four in, Stairway to the Stars--Skywatching in three
        great ancient cultures.

        the jist of it is that venus was the celestial personification of
        kukulkan,maya name for the feathered serpent.the 260 day cycle was called
        the "tzolkin". some isolated mayan folk still track it. he explains how its
        numerical mechanics mesh with the larger counts of the maya calendar. a
        table for this purpose is part of the Dresden Codex, one of the handful of
        surviving maya books. the ruling class built structures that aided in
        tracking this planet partly because it was important to time raids on their
        neighbors to capture sacrificial victims for sacrifice to ensure water and
        maize.

        send me a $1.50 in postage stamps and i'll send you xerox of the whole
        chapter.
        b. carroll,1101 payne av, austin, tx, 78757------or buy aveni's book. there
        is so much good stuff in it.B

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/sacredlandscapelist