      From: sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of zipper008@...
      Sent: Friday, November 1, 2013 11:54 AM
      To: sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [sl] Saturn's hexagon

      Hi Dan,

      How are you these days? Have we discussed this before? Saturn has a persisting hexagonal cloud pattern around the north pole of Saturn. The sides of the hexagon are about 13,800 km (8,600 mi) long -- longer than the Earth's diameter.

      http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2010/2471.html

      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Saturn_north_polar_hexagon_2012-11-27.jpg

      animated .gif here:

      http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2009-187

      Apparently, the pole of Saturn's third largest moon also exhibits this pattern:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iapetusnorth.jpg

      This interests me because it is a clear example of a hexagon appearing naturally in nature (other examples are honeycombs and snowflakes). While the circle can be seen in a myriad of natural forms�from the sun or the moon to the rings of trees, from the centers of flowers to the shape of burrow entries into the ground and bird's nests up in the rounded branches of the trees�the square nowhere occurs naturally. However, there are some instances of the cube appearing in nature (the cube being the three-dimensional expansion of the square). In dry ice the molecules of carbon dioxide group themselves into a cubical lattice, similar in structure to the steel girders of an office building; similarly, in the case of rock salt (also known as halite), sodium atoms and chlorine atoms �stack� together in a way that makes a microscopic cube. This cubic structure continues to grow until your eyes can actually see a cubic crystal of salt. Other common cubic mineral crystals include pyrite, also known as Fool�s Gold, and fluorite. As a matter of fact, the molecular structure of diamonds is cubic (which is why cubic zirconia resembles it in appearance). The unique diamond cubic lattice is precisely what gives diamonds their characteristic hardness and strength. We know this because graphite contains the same carbon composition but its molecular form is structured differently. In effect, the carbon atoms in diamonds are stacking as tightly and efficiently together as their covalent bonds will permit.

      While the cube is the three-dimensional expansion of the square, when you try to draw a cube in two dimensions it appears as a hexagon. In other words, one can easily visualize a cube from a hexagon.

      If Barry and other Hamlet's Mill readers are reading this, the connection between Saturn and the hexagon/compressed cube is highly intriguing!

      Best,

      Chris

      Yahoo Groups Links
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic