7451Re: [sl] Re: Just who do you think you are, Jesus?

    Oct 3, 2007
      Ambrose Hawk wrote:

      >I've not been following the thread lately but ...
      >one, the acclaim offered to Jesus on his entrance was supposedly excited
      >by his resurrection of Lazarus, thus proving his claim of Messianic
      >status in the eyes of the populace.

      This would resonate well with my citation of the messianic prophecy from
      Qumran, which shows that one mark of the messiah is his ability to raise
      the dead.

      >Two no tradition of which I'm aware segregates this entrance from the
      >general celebrations connected with Passover ... modern speculations
      >about this are exactly that and unsupported by evidence.

      Speculations can crystalize into tested truth. There is some evidence,
      whether it is good or not is another question.

      >Three, the conjunction of the "save us, son of David" with the
      >politically charged atmosphere of the Passover season fits as a
      >motivation to take extreme action by the authorities.
      >The feast at which he sneaked up to Jerusalem is mentioned in St. John's
      >Gospel ... and is not connected to the Lazarus event nor to the
      >:Passion.

      I agree. The crowds calling him son of david would be a real incitement
      for the authorities to arrest and execute him.

      Dan

      >Ambrose
      >

      >--
      >IN HOC MODO, MILLIS FRANGITVR!
      >

      >Topics suitable for discussion in this e-list can be found at:
      >http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html
      >
      >To UNsubscribe, send email to:
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic