7424Re: The Twain Prayer

  • Dominick Carlucci
    Sep 1, 2007
      Dan,

      Personally, I prefer the famous "Patton Prayer", from the Battle of
      the Bulge:

      "Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy
      great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have
      had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken
      to us as soldiers who call upon Thee that, armed with Thy power, we
      may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and
      wickedness of our enemies and establish Thy justice among men and
      nations."

      The film had it pretty close, but for the true story of how the
      prayer came about, and what went with it, see:

      http://www.pattonhq.com/prayer.html

      Bests,
      Dominick

      --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "danw888" <danw@...>
      wrote:

      > Here is what I found after a little searching on the net
      >
      > The War Prayer
      > O Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds
      with
      > our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale
      forms
      > of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns
      with
      > the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay
      waste
      > their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the
      > hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us
      > turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended
      the
      > wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, -
      Mark