6191Re: [sl] Re: How Darius Founded Judaism

  • mikebispham@aol.com
    May 2, 2006
      Ambrose, Mark,

      Allow me to recommend S.H. Hooke's Middle Eastern Mythology - a Pelican book (1st pub. 1963) with multiple second-hand copies available for a few pence.

      A (not very good) synopsis from the Penguin print:

      "Professor Hooke shows how mythology can play a role in ritual, how it can explain the origin of a custom or cult and glorify a hero, tribe or city. All of these functions are relevant to the strange and haunting myths of the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Canaanites and Hittites, slowly revealed by decades of archaeological research and retold here. Yet it is also these early religious traditions that underlie the familiar stories of Genesis, Noah's flood and the Garden of Eden. Even the Nativity and Resurrection narratives, whatever their basis in fact, can be paralleled elsewhere. We ought, in other words, to consider the Middle East as a single unit and to look at the Bible in that context. "

      Mike

      PS, I've supplied the original post below

      In a message dated 5/2/06 9:11:01 PM GMT Daylight Time, mswaney@... writes:
      Ambrose,

      I am very interested in the texts you refer to from Ebla.  Can you tell us
      some more about them?  Where can I get some more information on them?

      I am studying the History of Judaism at this time - reading the huge three
      volume set "The Cambridge History of Judaism".  It is a fascinating story
      and hugely important for the understanding of Western History in general.

      The first thing that I noticed about the Cambridge History is that they
      begin it with the return of the exiles from Babylon (about 537 BCE) to
      Jerusalem.  They make no mention whatsoever of any events before that time.
      They don't even offer a chapter as to why this should be so.  There is
      however, a chapter on the controversy in the ancient world on the lack of
      any reference to the Jews in any of the contemporary histories of the
      ancients - the Jews were disturbed by this and considerable effort was made
      on their part to try and tease out an ancient reference to their people.
      Apparently by Roman times the Jews were sensitive to the view of them by the
      other peoples and they wanted an ancient pedigree to match their stories.

      I have read about the lack of physical evidence for the Exodus from Egypt,
      but that was something that can be understood given the nature of the events
      - former slaves wandering the desert probably don't leave much trace after
      32 centuries.

      But that doesn't explain the complete lack of evidence for a violent
      conquering of the Canaanite towns such as Jericho.  In other cases the
      evidence does back up Bible accounts - such as the assault on Jerusalem by
      the Babylonians in 587 BCE. However in that case there are other ancient
      sources that parallel the Bible.

      I'm not sure I buy the hypothesis that Darius invented Judaism.  But it is
      an interesting theory.

      What is most interesting to me about Judaism is their belief that "History"
      is the result of the direct Will of God.  Therefore if bad things happen to
      the Jews they have no choice but to blame themselves - because if they are
      "God's Chosen People" then God would never harm them unless it was to "Teach
      Them a Lesson".  Apparently it was too much for them to figure that they are
      just people like anyone else and that they didn't have enough army to resist
      the various major empires of the ancient world.

      Mark