6028Re: [sl] The Nature of Morality

  • mikebispham@aol.com
    Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Dan,

      Apologies for recent rushed posts - I've been very taken up with essays and parenting, and earning a living and whathaveyou...

      You conclude:

      > Question: How do you teach empathy?
      > Question: How do you teach
      love?

      I think empathy is natural to us, but can be repressed by early (or even later) conditioning.  On the whole though, I think most of us possess it, and most of those that don't can be encouraged to learn to feel it.  Perhaps the question is more how do we encourage the extension of concern for family and tribe to the larger community - as you rightly point out we must.

      I think my response is similar for love; though this is more complicated.  In thr first place we use the term to mark two distinct states; that of feeling and that of acting - though there's penty of overlap, and generally the first results in the second - if you love somebody you act in ways that protect and enable them.

      I think, rather than reducing the issues to these questions, we might more usefully ask what we want of our morality?  Is it satisfactory now, if not what are its failings and how do we mend them?

      As you point out: "A moral rule is one that forbids damage to oneself or another human being."

      It seems easy to regard this as a part of the set of rules social animals need to get along well (although one might argue that one has the right to damage oneself if one so desires... as long as that doesn't impinge on others)

      I think though you raise this as an example of a moral rule, rather than a specification of what all moral rules should be based on?

      I think the larger question, is who should make the rules, and who should enforce them?

      At the last election there was over here a little ditty that I thought summarised some issues well: 'Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime' reminds us that people commit offences against their fellows more when they don't feel a sense of belonging to their community, and when their prospects of a satifactory honest life are poor.  I have more empathy for the poor thief than for the rich polluter, or resource raper.

      Tough issue for our times.

      Rushed again, I'm afraid...

      Thanks for your thoughts,

      Mike

      In a message dated 2/25/06 4:00:11 PM GMT Standard Time, danw@... writes:
      In a previous post Mike began to ask questions about the nature of
      Morality. Here is my current take on the subject. A lot of my ideas
      derive from christianity but none of them depend on it. Hence this is a
      purely psychological theory of ethics.

      Of course Right Behaviour is part of every conception of a sacred social
      order, hence a fitting topic for the Sacred Landscape list.

      Dan

      Ethics and Empathy - Notes on the Nature of Morality

      Rules - what I know I should do in order to play the game correctly
      Desires - what I actually want to do

      Conflict between rules and desires - For the game of Poker, I may want
      the money, but I know I’m not supposed to break the rules to get it.

      Common moral rules: don’t lie, cheat, steal, or make out with your
      neighbor’s spouse.

      What makes these moral rules as opposed to the rules of a game like
      poker? With moral rules there is still the conflict between rules and
      desires. I may be tempted to steal office supplies from my company but I
      know that I am not supposed to do it. Why is No Stealing a moral rule?

      You can bow out of a game of poker but there are certain games that we
      inevitably play as part of being a human being.

      make decisions
      eat
      sleep
      move around
      have sexual feelings
      interact with others
      make a living
      love

      A moral rule is one that forbids damage to oneself or another human being.

      You damage me when you lie to me, because I can’t make good decisions
      based on lies.

      You damage me when you cheat, because you win and I lose in an unfair way.

      You damage me when you steal, because I need the cash and property to
      take care of me and mine.

      You damage me when you seduce my spouse, because you are wrecking my
      home and my family.

      Ultimately moral rules are based on empathy.

      The Golden Rule shows this foundation in empathy clearly: Do unto others
      as you would have them do unto you.
      If they do it to me, I will be hurt.
      If I do it to them, they will be hurt.

      I understand how they will feel as a result of my actions and care how
      they feel, because I know how it feels to me.

      This is the basis of the extension of moral rules to all of mankind, not
      just my country, my tribe, my friends, my family. Without empathy there
      would have been no creation of a set of moral rules.

      The interplay between current feelings of empathy and moral rules:

      No empathy and belief that rules don’t apply to them: nuke the arabs

      No empathy and rules do apply to them: love to nuke the arabs but its
      against the rules

      Empathy and rules do apply: can’t nuke the arabs, they are our brother
      and sister human beings.

      Empathy, with love: what can I do to help the arabs heal and be happy,
      the poor darlings have been desperately hurt.

      Can’t I kill the killers and maim the bad guys?

      No, you have to have empathy for them even though they are a danger to
      you. They are not a special class of people exempt from the moral rules.
      You can’t lie, cheat, steal, or kill them at your whim.

      We have good moral values when we actually want to do what the rules
      tell us to do about damaging and healing ourselves and other human beings.

      Jesus says go beyond the rules
      stop wanting the bad and start wanting the good
      love your neighbor
      love your enemies

      Paul says you will die out from under the law if you accept the way of
      Jesus. Love/empathy is the basis for morality. If you love, you will not
      need the law, the set of rules to remind you to do the right thing,
      because you will naturally want to do the right thing.

      Moral rules are based on empathy for others. They are the set of rules
      for doing minimum damage to people in playing the game of being human.
      Far better, though, that we love our neighbors and actually want what is
      best for them, rather than have to follow a set of rules.

      In teaching morality then, teaching empathy is just as important as
      teaching moral rules.