4970RE: [sl] The Deductive Theology of Me

  • Mark Swaney
    Apr 1, 2005
      Dan,

      I like that Deductive Theology - I think I see a parody! - and a good one at
      that.

      Generally the best reason to create a parody is the ability of parody to
      make its point in a powerful way. Writers have used parody to escape
      persecution from time to time, but writers have also used parody when there
      was no persecution to worry about. In the case of Revelation, the thesis is
      that it is a parody of Greek Christianity as portrayed by the Gospels,
      probably written by an Ebionite.

      Whether or not the true author of Revelation needed to fear the authorities
      is irrelevant to thesis.

      The author used the method of adopting the same devices as the writing he
      wishes to expose as false. He says - "Look here, anyone can do this sort of
      thing - see how I can fool the ignorant into believing anything I want by
      using tricks of gematria and twisted references to the Scriptures"

      This was the opinion of the Gospels held by the Ebionites, the original
      followers of Jesus, the ones who did not stop being Jewish. They are most
      likely the ones referred to by Paul who sermonized against "Judasizing".

      The Ebionites were in competition with the Greek Christians led by Paul. The
      Ebionites felt that the Greek Christians had hijacked their beliefs and
      ripped off Jesus by dressing him up in mystical Greek clothing, making
      claims about his being the Son of God, born of a Virgin, etc, all totally
      alien ideas to the Jews, but beloved of old by the Greeks. The Ebioinites
      also realized that the Greek Christians were in fact anti-Semites who were
      using the purported words of Jesus to slander the Jews. So they definitely
      had an ax to grind with the competition.

      Revelation is a *demonstration* of the methods used by the gospels - turned
      on its head through the use of parody. Of course, like most parody it's done
      in an "over the top" style of writing - overdone in fact - just to
      demonstrate the point that much better. Thus we get the lurid visions and
      dramatic devices, flaming swords, moon turning to blood, etc, etc. It's a
      form of first century camp.

      A possibility (my own favorite) is that the author intended to be taken
      literally by one group (Greek Christians), all the while being obvious to
      another (Jewish Christians). This would have allowed a great deal of
      snickering to be done by the Ebionites at the expense of the Pauline
      Christians.

      Of course the problem for such writing is its own success - taken literally
      rather than as the intended parody. This is all the more likely when three
      hundred years later the work has been translated and is read by people of a
      totally different culture than that which the original author addressed.
      Without cultural access to the allusions that make parody obvious in its own
      time, the ability to recognize the parody is lost.

      Then the "over the top" campy fun-making is taken at face value and the
      writing takes on a wholly unintended life of its own, and morphs into a
      weird new addition to a serious religious theology with consequent twisted
      results.

      Mark