4622Re: Significance of 93

  • danw888
    Aug 14, 2004
      93 is used as a short form of Thelemic salutation.

      Reminds me of the old joke. The warden is showing a visitor through
      the prison. In cell block 8 a prisoner calls out the number 25 and
      everone breaks into peals of laughter. Another prisoner calls out 62
      and again everyone roars. A third prisoner calls out 93, but there is
      dead silence. The visitor asks 'What in the world is going on here?
      The warden says, These guys have been here so long that they all know
      eacother's jokes, so for conveniece sake they have just given them
      numbers. The visitor asks, But why didn't anyone laugh at number 93.
      Oh, old Joe never could tell a joke.

      Let's give that joke the number 93.

      I never did understand Crowley's point with these admonitions.

      Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Sounds like you can
      be ruled by any idiot whim that takes your fancy. Doesn't this just
      lead to a form of Clinton mania, where you can't keep your pants
      zipped up?

      Love is the Law, love under will: Will under love I could understand
      but love under will?

      Will someone explain the spiritual meaning of Thelemic Law to me?

      Dan

      --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <Keith@i...> wrote:

      > From the oto grand lodge faq
      >
      > What does "93" mean?
      > The old Hebrew and Greek languages had no separate system of
      numerals;
      > numbers were instead signified by the use of the letters of their
      respective
      > alphabets, each of which had a specific numeric value assigned to it.
      > Therefore, a numeric value can be derived from any word or phrase
      spelled in
      > either Greek or Hebrew. The study of these numeric values and their
      meanings
      > is termed "gematria". The Greek words Te??µa (Thelema — Will) and ??ap?
      > (Agape — Love) both enumerate to the number 93. Therefore, the number 93
      > serves as a concise, symbolic expression of the principles of Will
      (Do what
      > thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law) and Love (Love is the law, love
      > under will). Crowley recommended the use of these phrases as Thelemic
      > salutations of greeting and departure; modern Thelemites frequently
      use "93"
      > as a shorter and more casual equivalent.
      >

      > That explains it!

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic