3776Metatron/Mithras & the Ka'aba

  • Khem Caigan
    May 1, 2003
      Chris writes:

      > Peculiar strand of thought I am chasing down now: Metatron's cube. I have
      > enough info on who and what Metatron is but no idea of when he first started
      > being associated with the cube.
      >
      > I mean to say that I have historical contexts for the angel Metatron but no
      > historical timeline to connect this mysterious cube/flower of life with him.
      > Who made the cube of Metatron popular? Who first published it, publicized
      > it, popularized, made money off of it?

      You're probably familiar with Kepler's model of the celestial spheres,
      in which Plato's 5 perfect solids were nested inside one another and
      were supposed to enclose the planetary orbitals - here's a link to a
      page that shows the model from Kepler's _Harmony of the World_:

      http://www.princeton.edu/~sbutt/his291/kepler.html

      Just scroll down to the caption that reads "Kepler's nested-solids
      theory of the universe", and you'll see a depiction of his model - a
      cube that encloses successively smaller models of the four remaining
      Platonic solids.

      Kepler's model of the macrocosm depicts the Adam Kadmon geometrically,
      affording a view into Plato's discussion of the world-soul that draws
      upon Persian, Greek, and Judaic cosmology.

      There's a pretty good discussion of Plato's cosmological geometrizing
      on this page:

      http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2E852764

      And some nice discussions of Plato's _Timaeus_ on this page:

      http://www.spirasolaris.ca/sbb4d3.html

      And this one:

      http://www.meru.org/3220lecture/asymspir.html

      If you recall Plato's model of the world soul, he describes two strips
      of fabric with their ends bent round in a circle - one of them
      represents the equator, and is called the Same, and the other strip is
      assigned to the ecliptic, and is called the Different; and these
      circular bands are placed crosswise at their middle points to form a
      shape like the Greek letter 'chi', which looks like an X.

      Now, I commend this page to your attention:

      http://www.ostia-antica.org/regio2/8/8-6.htm

      If you scroll down to the 'Schematic representation of the astronomical
      signs at Sette Sfere. From Gordon 1976, fig. 2.', you'll see a diagram
      depicting two torchbearers standing before two benches. They are the two
      attendants of Mithras, Cautes - with an upthrust torch, and Cautopates -
      with a downthrust torch.

      They represent the solstitial colures, the points on the band of the
      Different where the Sun is at its greatest remove from the equatorial
      band of the Same, with its two equinoctial points. Mithraic doctrine
      held that souls entered and left the world through the solstices.

      In Christian narrative they are depicted as two thieves on either side
      of the central cross (X), one ascending to heaven and the other one
      descending to hell.

      The pages below discuss the identity of Mithras with Metatron [among
      other things]:

      http://home.btconnect.com/CAIS/Celebrations/mehregan.htm

      http://www.askwhy.co.uk/judaism/0450Enoch.html

      http://makeashorterlink.com/?D29922764

      http://www.svabhinava.org/union/unionsun.html

      http://telesisacademy.org/MythPages20to29.htm

      And for those of you who missed my earlier post linking to the 'Mithras
      Liturgy':

      http://www.hermetic.com/pgm/mithras-liturgy.html

      The initiatory systems of Mithras/Metatron are a vehicle or chariot of
      sorts, designed to convey the celebrant beyond the nested solids of
      Kepler's "World Egg".

      You might want to pick up a copy of Robert Brumbaugh's book, _Plato's
      Mathematical Imagination_, as well as Ernest McClain's book,_The Myth of
      Invariance: The Origin of the Gods, Mathematics and Music from the Rg
      Veda to Plato_.

      And there are some more links that may be of interest, below:

      The Religion of Mithras
      http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0690Mithras.html

      The Cosmic Mysteries of Mithras
      http://www.well.com/user/davidu/mithras.html

      MITHRAS AND THE HYPERCOSMIC SUN
      http://www.well.com/user/davidu/hypercosmic.html

      Sacred Geometry
      http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/mcgrail/stu0102/HP16/

      Ultimorum Princeps - Chief of Ultimates
      http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/PT/M21.html

      Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam,

      ~ Khem Caigan
      <Khem@...>

      "The universe is made of stories, not of atoms."

      ~ Muriel Rukeyser