3419Gematria: Usage, Ideals and History (was Gematria)

  • Seyfert-1
    Oct 31, 2002
      50021031 VII Winter's Eve / Halloween / Samhain

      Dan Washburn <danw@...>:
      >> God-intoxicated priest/shamans who were at the same
      >> time musicians, mathematicians, architects, and
      >> astronomers invented gematria and enshrined in it not
      >> only their sacred cosmology but the paths that they
      >> had blazed to higher consciousness.
      >>
      >> In the west this happened in the Assyro-Babylonian,
      >> Greek and Jewish cultures. I suspect that it was also
      >> present in Megalithic society and ancient Egypt.

      any idea of the primary time periods for these?

      >> Gematria exists in early Christianity as a set of
      >> hidden mysteries; the 'solid food' of advanced
      >> teaching that is hinted at in Paul and the letter to
      >> the hebrews.

      coded within that letter, in Greek? does the Geometer
      workbook mentioned below describe this?

      >> To recover the lost teachings is an historical
      >> adventure, a mathematical puzzle, and a mystical
      >> transformation. It is fascinating on all three
      >> grounds.

      compare the Nag Hammadi materials, and the various
      Rosicrucian (e.g. Spencer Lewis) "Lost Teachings of
      Jesus". one might compare these also with grimoires
      like "The 6th and 7th Books of Moses", which are an
      appendant to religious scripture for the author's
      purposes. I'd be willing to bet that there are many
      instructions by Gautama Buddha which appeared after
      his parinirvana (e.g. that guarded by the nagas for
      Arjuna of the Nagas, one of the founders of the
      Great Vehicle Tradition in Buddhism).

      >> Most of the gematria in the Crowley venue and in the
      >> medieval Kabbalah that i have seen seems barren to me,
      >> mere games, not a revelation of truth. It is the
      >> combination of gematria with sacred geometry and
      >> mystical meditation that leads to the inner precincts
      >> of the Temple, the sacred cube that is the Holy of
      >> Holies, the place where God and Man meet on earth.
      >>
      >> ...I have in mind a workbook called Jesus the Geometer.

      indeed, most of what I've seen Hermetic magicians using
      gematria (GD, Crowley, others) for is for some kind of
      language by which one might communicate with extra-
      physical intelligences. that is, it is not immediately
      apparent that the gematria is more than a vehicle for
      the exposition of the author's assertions (e.g. Crowley
      equated 'Thelema' (in Greek) with 'Agape' (also in Greek)
      on account of their respective sums to 93, and this has
      become a very important bit of information for his followers
      and the construction of mysticism and mysteries thereafter.

      mystical meditation is a very important part of Golden
      Dawn practices, and those who followed in their wake.
      this particularly included the tarot images, and such
      practice has been popularized by such authorities as
      Paul Foster Case, whose tarot deck, based on the
      Smith-Waite art, is used for familiarization with colour
      and letter symbolism as well as gematrian results as
      one colours the cards and meditates upon their principles.

      my own brief investigation into these matters gives me
      little beyond a reference to sacred alphabets to connect
      this subject to SL issues.

      Judson Chambers <nuchamber@...>:
      > Hello sacredlandscape forum:

      hey Judson,

      > "Priest/shamans" and independants have found that
      > ratio and ratiocination (without "intoxication") that
      > underlies and precedes the phenomena of "number", that
      > pervades throughout the elaboration of "number"
      > (complicit in gematria and the kabala)....

      could you name some of the historical priests/shamans
      and independents that you feel most adroitly exemplify
      this quality, and explain more about this ratiocination?

      > ...pursuing an appreciation of how gematria and kabala
      > relates to practical or praxeologic issues in our
      > everyday lives, where one who has not entertained
      > these archetypes and epistemologic realities may
      > appreciate their connection to the cycles in which
      > even imperical life persists.

      if you can tie it in with our list of topics in the email
      list, I'd greatly like to hear more from you on this topic,
      as you've described immediately above (I'll append that
      list to my email just in case you haven't seen it).

      > ...We can bring to surfaced a perfect
      > understanding of gematria in a context of
      > meaningfulness that "Alexandre" and many of us seek.

      the meaning of 'perfect' in this context would become
      the most important aspect of your analysis. I like the
      idea of comparing and contrasting gematria methods,
      languages in which gematria is applied, discussing the
      theory about how it might be used, and examining what
      historical records (with references) there are that
      pertain to its previous usage for Hebrew, Greek and
      other languages in which it appeared.

      > We can discover the bearing such knowledge of gematria
      > and even knowledge of Godhead can bring to everyday
      > living?

      where it intersects with our mutual interests as expressed
      in the SL web-page(s), this would be quite valuable (see
      below). thanks!

      Seyfert-1
      nagasiva@...
      ====================================

      sacred geometry;

      temple and shrine architecture, both ecclesiastic and vernacular;

      archaeoastronomy;

      sundials and astro-calendrical devices;

      latent geometrical order in the biological world;

      religious and Freemasonic iconography in architecture,
      theater, and garden design;

      the history and construction of labyrinths;

      garden follies, grottoes, and other forms of symbolic
      landscaping;

      relationships between architecture and music;

      geometric principles underlying formal garden design and
      sacred architecture;

      geomancy, feng shui, and ley lines;

      symbolic and religious considerations in agriculture
      (e.g. culture-specific astro-calendrical beliefs
      about planting times and harvest festivals);

      the history of mathematics, geometry, metrology,
      calendar-making, and related sciences;

      sacred site tourism;

      and contributions to a web-based Sacred Landscape
      Bibliography featuring information and commentary on
      what others have published on these topics.

      EOF
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic