311[sacredlandscapelist] Re: Durga magic triangle SOLVED

  • Seth Melchert
    Jun 2, 1999
      Barry Carroll wrote:

      > good work tyagi.
      > so the figures were sanscrit numbers after all.
      > the figure contains other subtlties as well in the number groupings.
      > the numbers 1-2-3 form a triangle contained by a larger reversed triangle
      > of 4-5-6. i think i have seen such a figure called a shri yantra.
      > does anyone know this figure?

      Ah, the Sri Yantra, yes. Here are a couple of web sites I've found for
      it:

      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/george/yantra.html

      http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~mikel/sriyantra/sriyantra.html

      http://www.danwinter.com/

      http://www.estrie.com/macphi/flanagan/sriyantra.html

      The last one I take with more than a few grains of salt.

      But I have been trying for years to learn how to draw one of those
      things. It is absolutely amazing - 4 upward triangles interlinking
      perfectly with 5 downward. Several of these links above have recipes for
      the construction, and none of them are accurate. I believe it resides in
      the realms of initiation and secerecy to this day. A real koan.

      However, I have had deep inner experiences after working on attempted
      sri yantra constructions, however imperfect. Some years ago I believe
      there was a Swiss physicist working with sound patterns. I think he had
      liquid paraffin, and subjected it to various sounds, and one
      particularly "pure" sound produced a remarkable semblance to a sri
      yantra. Anyone have a reference for this?

      I believe it comes out of one of the Tantra traditions, and is not
      particularly associated with one personified divinity or another, other
      than simply Shakti. Spend some time with it.

      seth

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sacredlandscapelist