274[sacredlandscapelist] Re: Gematria

  • Seth Melchert
    May 14, 1999
      Barry Carroll wrote:

      > next week after i finish with the dentist, i'm going to duck out and go
      > see mounds
      > in louisiana/mississippi for 4 days. i plan to take a video camera. that
      > way if anyone wants to
      > see these places, we can pass the tape around.

      > along those lines, i dream of going to Yucatan on one of those $300 package
      > deals that fly out of Houston,
      > so as to see that serpent shadow at Chichen Itza .
      >
      > then there are the Newark Mound Circles in Ohio...

      speaking of mounds and all, there is a small local brouhaha right here
      in the Bay Area, Emeryville to be precise. A short distance from my home
      is the site of the old Emeryville shellmound - I mentioned it in passing
      here some time ago. It once measured something like 60 feet high, 300
      feet long, with a large flat top. It is attributed to the Ohlone, the
      local native residents of this area at the time of European invasion,
      but it was not in use by the locals, so who's to know who really built
      it. As I mentioned before, it was one of some 400 some known mounds to
      ring the Bay, but was certainly to largest. It's located on the banks of
      Temescal Creek.

      Anyway...after being used as a platform for an amusement park around the
      turn of the century it was eventually bulldozed. Anthropologists from UC
      Berkeley barely had a chance to survey the contents. Well, Emeryville is
      rapidly shedding its industrial identity and has become a mecca for
      malls, high tech and bio tech companies, condo's, upscale lofts, etc.
      There is a large (upscale) furniture outlet coming to the old Sherwin
      Williams paint factory site. Turns out it is smack dab on the old mound
      site. When excavation started turning up bnes - lots of bones - work was
      halted. Seems that a single Ohlone representative was consulted who
      promptly gave permission for the construction work to proceed, damn the
      anthropologists...beter to have the bones of ancestors crunched by
      machines than be picked over and stored by post-docs and intellectuals.

      As of right now, I have not seen the crews continue work, but at the
      same time I do not hold much hope that anything more will be saved.

      It sends through me echoes of spirits and paths once walked over the
      land I now call my home.

      seth

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/sacredlandscapelist