270[sacredlandscapelist] Re: Gematria Mysteries of Jesus Christ

    May 12, 1999
      So far I have looked at the first 5 chapters of Dan Gleason's Gematria Mysteries of
      Jesus Christ, not with any great depth, since everyday life still has me by the
      throat. Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are very interesting and reveal new, probably true,
      information. Chapter 4 on the Parable of the Sower I found hard to follow, with
      very swampy diagrams. Chapter 5 is a variation on Dave Fideler's geometry of the
      feeding of the 5,000.

      So bravo to Dan Gleason, he has obviously done a lot of hard work and uncovered
      exciting new material. I am not at all sure that it is the entrance to the holy of
      holies of early Christian Gematria mysteries, however, though I have only read the
      first 5 chapters in a semi-skimming mode.

      One problem is the margin of error that he allows. I always understood that the
      colel rule says that you can be one unit off and still mark it down as a match.
      Hence 'great joy' which appears in both the Matt and Luke infancy narratives equals
      889, one unit from the 888 of Jesus, but it is still a valid match in my book. Dan
      G. argues (p 35) that when you are comparing gematria that runs into the thousands
      with the numbers on geometrical constructions, a larger margin of error is logical
      -- variations of 1 to 2 percent are invisible to the naked eye on a draughtsman's
      graph and hence should be allowed to count as matches. He therefore equates
      numbers such as the gematria value 8467 and the graph value 8479.7752 (99.85%).
      Unfortunately he tells you in the text that the two are identical, equal to 8467,
      it is only in an appendix that the variation is listed. So one has to read the
      book with care or a false impression of exact matching is created.

      Dan W.

      P.S. -- Where is everybody? Is everyone's life as screwed up as mine right now? Or
      is it just the Spring?

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/sacredlandscapelist