261[sacredlandscapelist] Re: Gematria Mysteries of Jesus Christ

    May 1, 1999
      Mike --

      Thanks hugely for the referal url to dan gleason's web site on the gematria
      mysteries of Jesus Christ. I've looked at the 1st chapter and am in process of
      downloading the book, but from what I've seen so far it may well be another
      major piece in recovering the hidden wisdom in early christianity.

      One thing that bothers me about michell, fideler, and now gleason is the lack
      of spiritual content, of a real connection with the mystical heart of Jesus'
      teachings and the inner radiance of the saints, the transformation into glory
      as St. Paul calls it. We should be finding a treasure map in these mysteries,
      not intellectual games for jewish/gentile geometers.

      I ran across a reference to gematria in the building of King's College Chapel
      (not really a chapel, since it is longer than Oxford Cathedral). Nigel Pennick
      says in The Ancient Science of Geomancy that it has 26 stained glass windows,
      26 structural uprights, 26 ribs in each pair of fans in the vaulting, etc. 26
      is the gematria number of the tetragrammaton IHVH and IHVH is carved over the
      west door. Further the ground plan proportions are laid out via ad triangulum,
      as can be seen in Reginald Ely's drawing for the chapel. (He has a book called
      The Mysteries of Kings College Chapel which I have not seen.)

      I've heard that there is gematria connected with Chartre Cathedral as well, but
      have never seen an exposition on it. With two examples, the question is raised
      as to whether gematria formed a hidden part of the science of cathedral
      building.

      Pennick's book contains a number of references to the history of ad quadratum
      and ad triangulum which I think you would be interested in plus references to
      early german and spanish writers on the secrets of cathedral construction.

      By the way he has a great chapter on the omphalos (he agrees with my theory!).
      Sorry I haven't had a chance to post on the netting on the omphalos, everyday
      life has been pretty overwhelming the last few weeks, but I will get to it
      soon.

      Dan W.

      .