2016Re: A Theory of Everything

  • mikebispham@cs.com
    Apr 2, 2001
      In a message dated 02/04/01 05:32:13 GMT Daylight Time, jjd4578@...

      > --- In sacredlandscapelist@y..., mikebispham@c... wrote:
      > >Even: related to Eve, event, every, related to latin eventus - a
      > >happening, from venire - to come.
      > Its immediate etymology ( in Middle English and Anglo-Saxon )
      > develops ideas of equality and smoothness ( evening as a smooth
      > division between day and night ) or division into equal parts.

      The 'smoothness' strikes me as indicative of another important aspect of the
      feminine principle, accented in the Greek as 'reconcilliation' or 'love'.
      In Timeaus the primary qualities are 'sameness' and 'difference', and I think
      the female provides a personification of the tendency toward

      > >Odd: 'Od - archaic 'God', 'ode' from greek 'eidos' -'shape', 'form'
      > >from greek 'Hudos' - a way, path. Odin - Norse supreme creater god,
      > >god of wisdom. Links (one imagines) to odysey and odyseus. The
      > >pathmaker/Governer.
      > Its immediate etymology is from the Icelandic 'oddi', a triangle,
      > a point of land, an odd number, also 'oddr' the point of a weapon
      > ( perhaps it is the oddr which divides the evens ! )

      I think that's just perfect, from the point of view of the Greek. The
      triangle, 3 sided, first (2D) figure. A dividing, disrupting influence (I
      don't know any men like that : ) Difference.

      > I like the 'eidos' 'hudos' etymology. Heidegger who had so much
      > to say about the origin of our word 'idea' from 'eidos' and
      > 'idein' 'to see,' surprisingly had nothing so say about its
      > connection with 'Hudos' - way, path, even though he loved the notion
      > of Wegenmarks.

      'Idea' is of course very big. We are all the result of the very first Big
      Idea, in God's mind. (Can I remind everyone that when I say things like
      this, I'm not expressing personal beliefs, but trying to think and write in
      the context of the subject. Trying to get into their heads. I wouldn't
      want any confusion about that! Especially, I do not subscribe to any views
      that suggest men should be active and women passive etc! Quite the
      opposite; I think women generally have had enough of that kind of thing for
      the next few thousand years! )

      Idea "via late latin from greek: model, pattern, notation, from idein, to

      Idea is linked to 'Ideal', as in the Platonic World of Ideal Forms. (God's
      Ideas, which became in the middle ages 'Universals'. A concept opposed by
      Aristotle) Just as 'Idea' describes "the universal architype or essence of
      any class of things or concepts"... it must also link with creation and
      creativity. It is (in the platonic world) the means of becoming for any

      I think this is describing aspects of the Male, active force, linking notions
      of creative thought through to deed.

      > As well as paths in the forest which do not go anywhere and end up
      > nowhere. Or rather end up in the thick of the woods.

      You made that up!

      > 'Hudos' also
      > suggests the arabic 'hadi' - a guide. By the way, his philosophical
      > approach was the exact opposite of developing a theory of everything
      > which he considered one of the curses of the modern world.

      Yes; what I'm trying to do is reconstruct the ancient theory of everything,
      and track its development and influence. Which might have been one of the
      curses of the ancient world; its difficult to tell, as yet!

      Timeaus' emphasis, vis-a-vis the male/female divide is instructive. The
      created world is a two-part beast (literally 'animal' *at least in my
      translation*). First is made the female world-soul, containing the
      proporting device of the lambda.

      "Whereas he made the soul in origin and excellence prior to and
      older than the body, to be the ruler and mistress, of whom the body
      was to be the subject. "

      The World-soul is female,

      "And he made her out of the following elements
      and on this wise: Out of the indivisible and unchangeable, and also
      out of that which is divisible and has to do with material bodies,
      he compounded a third and intermediate kind of essence, partaking of
      the nature of the same and of the other, and this compound he placed
      accordingly in a mean between the indivisible, and the divisible and
      material. He took the three elements of the same, the other, and the
      essence, and mingled them into one form, compressing by force the
      reluctant and unsociable nature of the other into the same. When he
      had mingled them with the essence and out of three made one, he
      again divided this whole into as many portions as was fitting, each
      portion being a compound of the same, the other, and the essence.
      And he proceeded to divide after this manner:-First of all, he took
      away one part of the whole [1], "... and into the whole lambda process.

      The Female World Soul is fashioned from the elements of "the indivisible and
      unchangeable" (can you see any primes in that 'indivisible' John?) ...
      partaking of the nature of the same and the other."

      The material world, fashioned from the newly forged, but similarly
      proportioned elements is male. Plato/Timeaus doesn't actually specify this,
      but he does refer to the material 'animal as male.

      "This he finished off, making the surface smooth all around for
      many reasons; in the first place, because the living being had no need
      of eyes when there was nothing remaining outside him to be seen; nor
      of ears when there was nothing to be heard;..."

      So, if I've got this right, Plato/Timeaus' take is:

      Creator: Father (although I've seen claims that the original should be
      translated as 'the architects' - plural.)

      (Next the creation of the Elements, Fire first, then Earth, duly proportioned)

      Created: a two-fold male/female, made as follows:

      "Now when the Creator had framed the soul according to his will, he
      formed within her the corporeal universe, and brought the two
      together, and united them centre to centre. The soul, interfused
      everywhere from the centre to the circumference of heaven, of which
      also she is the external envelopment, herself turning in herself,
      began a divine beginning of never ceasing and rational life enduring
      throughout all time. "

      First World Soul (Intelligence) - Female
      Second Material World Animal - Male

      Both duly proportioned.

      This is a striking reversal of the pattern we see elsewhere. Or perhaps just
      an elaboration. We still have a father/creator, but the created world is a
      hylomorphic - type being with the usual male female roles swapped.

      Furthermore, this is far from the simple male/odd female/even picture of the
      Lambda we've seen so far. Or perhaps that's built in, in such a way that the
      female world soul partakes of some maleness as she is formed by the lambda.

      This picture certainly seems kinder to the values of femininity, attributing
      the eternal qualities of reasoning and intelligence to her. A break for The
      Lady then, from OT and Catholic male-patterned universes.

      Lots to learn.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic