1874Re: [sl] Chinese Dragons

  • mikebispham@cs.com
    Feb 2, 2001
      mswaney@... writes:

      > Terrie,
      > I've been thinking about your post.

      > Terrie Halprin wrote:

      > > Of couse!! Isn't that interesting. So, now, I'm wondering/looking into
      > > -how exactly does/can "sound menses" arrangements tie in/relate and
      > > their environment. The moon/moon phases (water ways/flow) are, of
      > > the first, important aspects/access that I wanna try to understand more
      > > clearly.

      > The often noted correlation between the number of days in a woman's cycle
      > and the days in the Lunar cycle (28 each, right?) has never been explained
      > physically that I know of. Has anyone ever read a physical, biological
      > explanation for the length of the human cycle and does it have anything to
      > do with the phases of the Moon? People of very ancient times also must
      > been aware of the coincidence, because the Moon has always been associated
      > with the female, and (by default!)the Sun with the male. This may be
      > important. It may be the earliest reason to believe that moving objects
      in the
      > sky affect human life on Earth. If the Moon can have such a powerful
      > on the Ocean as to cause tides, and on the human body as to cause the
      > reproductive cycle, then what can be the effects of the Planets? And if
      > way that the effect is made is numerical, and mathematical in nature (the
      28 days)
      > why not look for other numerical, mathematical relationships between the
      > in the sky and life on the Earth?

      I think the link between the moon and the _tides_ was still uncertain even as
      late as Galilao. It's not easy to establish a direct link, because the sun
      also affects the ocean's movements, and the land masses complicate things
      still further. I'd guess though that the fact of spring and neap tides (high
      tides at the full and new moon) _do_ give a strong indication of a linkage.
      I'd imagine that the phases of the moon would probably have been observed,
      and correlated with the female menstural cycle, as you say, long ago.

      The fact that both involve water may have been thought important, and, in
      terms of modern understanding, this is, I think, one of the leading clues to
      the curious correlation of moon and female cycles. A number of sea animals
      can be shown to use the moon to synchronise their reproductive behaviour, so
      gaining an advantage over unsynchronised animals. The human reproductive
      system seems to have retained this feature - not just in the 28 day period,
      but in the fact of synchronisation by hormonal influence. It seems likely
      that synchronised periods provided an evolutionary advantage even after we
      left the oceans. (I wonder if flowers do the same thing? That would would
      please my gardener friend no end - he swears by planting ' by the moon'.)

      To return to the point, add to these lunar observations the plain influence
      of the diurnal and annual cycles of the sun, and, yes, a very good launching
      post for a wider planetary astrology.

      One thing I find very interesting here, is that it's the _alignments_ of
      these 'planets' that makes the change. Its the alignment changes that govern
      the phases of the moon, and when the alignments are close (full and new moon)
      the effects (reflected light, tides) are at their strongest. Alignment =
      strongest influence.

      I've been thinking a lot recently about the fact that its the alignments, and
      the geometric angular spacing of the planets that is the crux of astrology -
      and that this may tie in with the same angular regularities that are found in
      other places.
      As I understand it, alignments and oppositions (which are another form of
      alignment), are supplemented by further angular situations, when the planets
      stand in triple or quadruple conjunctions. (I'm showing my ignorance here,
      can anyone help out with the proper terms?)

      This raises questions: is there, for instance, a tie-in (in the medieval
      mind) between the angular arrangements that govern the influences of the
      heavenly bodies, and the (identical) angular arrangements that govern
      platonic matter, and crystal formation (and cathedral construction)? Does
      anyone have any idea how important astrology was to alchemy; ie. should 'the
      work' be conducted at astrologically auspicious times? Is the best silver
      made during a full moon - in other words do these traditions tie-in deeply in
      the same way as, for instance, medicine and astrology?

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic