Seeking Volunteers for Salmon School Days Event

  • Barbara L. Steinberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009

      Greetings:

      The American River Salmon Festival will not be held this year; however, DFG and Project WILD, will continue to support partner organizations and participate in the Salmon School Days event offered to 4th-grade teachers and students in Sacramento County this fall.  http://www.dfg.ca.gov/education/SalmonSchool/

      This exciting elementary school field trip is an outdoor opportunity in which students learn about the chinook salmon, salmon life cycle, the importance of healthy aquatic habitat and clean water through interactive activities.

      To make this event successful, we need energetic volunteers to conduct activities at two different sites:

      Location:   River  Bend Park, Rancho Cordova
      Date:         October 9, 2009
      Time:         8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (probably closer to 12:30)

      Location:  Nimbus Fish Hatchery, Rancho Cordova
      Date:        October 23, 2009
      Time:        8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

      There is a job for everyone regardless of background.  We will provide the information needed to deliver activities. Bagels and coffee provided.

      Many of us will be attending the Calling Back the Salmon Festival and Indigenous Peoples Days in Nevada City, Oct. 10 - 12 http://www.callingbackthesalmon.com/.    Please consider planning your trip so you can help us out in the morning, then continue up to Nevada City.  I have room in my house or motor home for those who would like to spend the night in Sacramento on the 8th.

      For more information and if you are interested in volunteering for either or both events, please contact Lesa Johnston at: 916.322.8933 or reply back to this email.

      Thank you and we hope you can join us,
      Betsy

      Betsy Magladry
      Department of Fish and Game
      Fish and Wildlife Interpreter
      Project WILD/Aquatic Invasive Species
      1807 13th Street, Suite 104
      Sacramento, CA 95811
      (916)322-8974
      Mobile:  (530)520-5378

      "There are some who can live without WILD things...and some who can not."
                                 Aldo Leopold

      Lesa Johnston,
      Outdoor Education Coordinator
      Office of Communications, Education and Outreach
      CA Department of Fish and Game
      1807 13th Street, Ste. 104
      Sacramento, CA  95811
      Office:  916.322.8933 ljohnsto@...

    • Navari, Sylvia
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2009
        Barbara,

        I will tentatively volunteer for Oct. 23rd. My schedule at the University is not quite set yet, but I think I will be able to be available. It sounds like fun.

        Sylvia Navari

        Date: October 9, 2009

        Date: October 23, 2009
        Time: 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.