Re: [sacmidtown] CardRoom Hearing July 16 @ Law & Legislation Committee

  • Dale Kooyman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      Wow!  A whole TWO minutes for each speaker.  That tells the public how much the city council really wants meaningful input.

      On Jun 13, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Derrick Lim wrote:

      All,

      As you may know the approval process for cardroom relocation draws a great deal of interest. The City of Sacramento allows a maximum of 4 cardrooms. Currently if one desires to relocate they submit an application to the City Manager. The City Manager consults with the Police Department and Community Development Department while reviewing the application. A public hearing is not required in this process.

      The public and some City Councilmembers have expressed a desire for a public hearing on cardroom relocations. City staff will present draft city code language to the Law and Legislative Committee of the City Council that would require a cardroom applicant to get a special permit from the Planning and Design Commission for a cardroom location.  The special permit process requires a public hearing.

      This is a heads up that the Law and Legislation Committee of the City Council is planning to hold a public hearing on July 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm in the City Council Chambers on proposed amendments to the city code related to public hearings for cardrooms.

      The Law and Legislation meeting is open to the public.  Interested parties have 2 minutes to testify before the committee.  The agenda for the July 16 Law and Legislation Committee is viewable at http://sacramento.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=21  on July 11.

      For more information regarding this meeting, contact Revenue Manager Brad Wasson at (916) 808-5844 or Principal Planner Joy Patterson at (916) 808-5607.

      ********************

      *

      Derrick Lim, Manager

      Neighborhood Services / Special Events

      New City Hall, 915 I Street, 3rd Floor

      Sacramento CA 95814

      www.cityofsacramento.org/ns

      916 808-2260 direct

      916 808-6789 front desk

      916 808-5959 fax

    • Fernando Berton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
        I'm sorry but 2 minutes is actually an insult.  I understand the need to limit time but 2 minutes is ridiculous.
      • Navari, Sylvia
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013

          One can say a great deal in 2 minutes if one is prepared.

          I'm sorry but 2 minutes is actually an insult.  I understand the need to limit time but 2 minutes is ridiculous.

        • Amelia McLear
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
            Folks,
            Not that I want to open the floodgates here, but there are multiple ways we, as the public, have to let their council members know what one thinks about an issue.

            One could submit any written testimony and/or other comment information to staff prior to the hearing so the Law and Leg committee has that in their packets and of course we can call or email any council member to let our opinion be known at any time. This is in addition to the two minutes of comment at an actual hearing. And write a letter to the Bee--the council members read that as well.

            Derrick is just doing his job--thanks for keeping us informed of these issues that we may want to be involved in--we appreciate it.