Fwd: Wildlife (Nature's kind) on Sierrra

  • dale kooyman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 10:10 AM

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Judith Scott <rx4rd@...>
      Date: March 5, 2012 9:25:34 AM PST
      To: Marilyn Starr <starrstruk@...>, dale kooyman <kooyman801@...>, Jeanette Trimble <jeanettetrimble@...>, Burman Shirley <wmn4rails@...>
      Subject: Wildlife (Nature's kind) on Sierrra

      A couple of us have noticed the drop in cats (or specific cats) hanging
      around our yards and have wondered if a coyote might be one of the reasons
      as there have been, in the past, confirmed coyote cat attacks at the Howe
      Avenue end of Sierra Blvd. and Campus Commons.

      The first report was sent out in the early afternoon on Saturday, March 3
      and included the following information:

      Saturday, March 3rd, at 12:30pm a Coyote snatched a cat from a yard on Barberry. The owner was in his back yard cleaning his pool and didn't notice the coyote slip under the fence but witnessed the coyote fleeing his yard with the white cat in his mouth. The cat belonged to one of his neighbors.

      The following reply was sent to the E-Mail above from another Sierra Oaks Vista resident:

      "I am not sure when my husband took this photo….but here is our neighborhood coyote in our front yard (inside our gate; no doubt the gate to the driveway was open so I doubt the coyote jumped our fence).  He is grazing whatever pickings are in the front yard. "

      He slipped under our fence about a week or so ago - I ran outside and chased him off without incident. I was incredulous at how lithe he was in squeezing into a very tight space. My husband wasn't convinced I had seen a coyote, which is why we didn't report it sooner - but the photograph matches exactly.